Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Drive File Stream

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and am trying to get Google Drive File Stream to work on it. It APPEARS that my installation of the Google Drive File Stream package worked, BUT I can't get it to work with the new OS (Mojave). I get this same message every time I try to start, and every time the system reboots:

System Extension Blocked

The system extension required for running Google Drive File Stream could not be loaded. Please open the System Preferences > Security & Privacy pane and allow loading system software from Google, Inc. Then restart the application.

Alas, when I go to that System Preferences, I don't know what to do next. I've gone to accessibility, and added the Google Drive File Stream, but that's not solving the problem.

In my case, i really need to get this running, as G-Drive is how my company shares files. Help!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 6:17 AM

OK everybody, I think we have a solution. From the Google Support folks, if their software isn't being allowed to work on Mojave, go to the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General page. Near the bottom of that window, if system software is being blocked, there should be a message there.

FYI, if there's more than one set of software being blocked, it won't give you a name of what's being blocked until you hit the "allow" button to the right, at which point it will provide you a list. If only one system is being blocked, then it will tell you. For example, the message might read: "System software from developer "Symantec" was blocked from loading." Here, if you hit the "allow" button, the software will (obviously) now be allowed, although you have to reboot to make the change(s) effective.

In my case, I allowed the Google software, rebooted, and it appears that this has solved the problem.

I hope this helps.

Fred

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2019 6:17 AM in response to mokantx

OK everybody, I think we have a solution. From the Google Support folks, if their software isn't being allowed to work on Mojave, go to the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General page. Near the bottom of that window, if system software is being blocked, there should be a message there.

FYI, if there's more than one set of software being blocked, it won't give you a name of what's being blocked until you hit the "allow" button to the right, at which point it will provide you a list. If only one system is being blocked, then it will tell you. For example, the message might read: "System software from developer "Symantec" was blocked from loading." Here, if you hit the "allow" button, the software will (obviously) now be allowed, although you have to reboot to make the change(s) effective.

In my case, I allowed the Google software, rebooted, and it appears that this has solved the problem.

I hope this helps.

Fred

May 9, 2019 5:08 AM in response to pcdumb

Certainly a bug and issue. I was able to fix by rebooting and then when Google Drive File Stream warns of extension blocked, use that dialog box and "Go to System Preferences" button, then General tab. Only in this manner does it ask or display an "Allow" button.

In previous attempts, I just skipped that box and went to System Preferences, Privacy & Security myself, but then doesn't show any developer being blocked message(s).

The short of it: close any other instances you have of System Preferences open, reboot if necessary and then use the Google Drive File Stream dialog box to get there, and it will hopefully present the "Allow" button.

May 24, 2019 4:05 PM in response to mokantx

I work as an IT support engineer looking after almost 1,000 Macs and we have had this issue. For some unknown reason, kernel extensions have become unloaded or disallowed. This is affecting High Sierra as well as Mojave, they all started with Gatekeeper Configuration Data version 166 update. We have lots of other affected software such as Sophos, Wacom, Epson print drivers, HP print drivers, Solarflare and Sonnet 10GbE card drivers, Dropbox, VMWare Fusion, Parallels, just to name some we've had issues with. On 10.13 and 10.14 were experiencing the same issue, the Allow button in Security and Privacy is not appearing. Our only solution has been to push out kernel extension whitelisting out via MDM, this is an enterprise only approach and requires a signed MDM certificate and Apple push notification services, if any macadmins are reading this, this is your solution.

Google File Stream had another issue a week prior where Google renamed a kernel extension from com.google.dfsfuse.filesystems.dfsfuse to com.google.drivefs.filesystems.dfsfuse which has caused everyone to have to allow this new extension. People currently can't allow it as the button is missing in Security and Privacy.

Google Drive File Stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.