Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An Error Occurred During Activation" when I attempt to log in to Messages on OSX

"An Error Occurred During Activation" when I attempt to log in to Messages. This seems to happen about once a month, and every time the fix seems to be something different. I have no problem logging in to iCloud, and Message works fine on all my other devices. I am running 10.12.6 of the OS. Whenever this happens I am unable to identify any changes that might have caused it... i.e., it seems to happen out of "thin air." I am also being totally barrage with requests to enter my keychain password - not sure if that might be diagnostically relevant. Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 12:43 PM

Well I got it to work again. I'd seen suggestions to quit Messages, then kil the amessages process in Activity Monitor (looking for a hanging process maybe?) but the process was never visible. So this time i started up Messages, killed the process in Activity Monitor, and restarted my Mac. That seemed to do the trick.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2019 12:43 PM in response to alfromrochester

Well I got it to work again. I'd seen suggestions to quit Messages, then kil the amessages process in Activity Monitor (looking for a hanging process maybe?) but the process was never visible. So this time i started up Messages, killed the process in Activity Monitor, and restarted my Mac. That seemed to do the trick.

"An Error Occurred During Activation" when I attempt to log in to Messages on OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.