Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printers Disappear after Mojave Upgrade

First, it was interminable connectivity. Then, all 6 printers disappeared from my Macbook Pro. Then, they can't be added back . And Support says yeah we know but don't know.

This is quite frustrating.

Fortunately I cautioned my wife against upgrading but I didn't follow my own advice. Now I have to email to others to print a document.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 10:12 AM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2019 8:44 AM in response to shapapple

Please refer to Printer and scanner drivers for Mac and notice this bold face emphasis:

This list is no longer updated.

Apple has been gently nudging its users toward AirPrint for a number of years now. Eventually that gentle nudge becomes a firm shove. That has now arrived with Mojave. Older, non-AirPrint printers will work to the extent their manufacturers are willing to support them, but having already sold them to you, there is literally no incentive for them to do that. No one works for free.

This does not meant to imply a death sentence for your existing printers. Kindly provide their manufacturers, exact model names, numbers, designations etc and perhaps I will be able to help. No promises, but my Apple ImageWriters still work with Mojave.

Mar 25, 2019 10:24 AM in response to shapapple

I likewise encountered a problem with my Canon PIXMA printer after I upgraded to Mojave. However, thankfully, it was resolved because I was able to find updated drivers and utilities on Canon's website. However, I have also learned that Canon announced last year that they are discontinuing the PIXMA line for Macintosh computers. My concern now is that with the release of 10.15, I will lose functionality in another PIXMA printer. Ironically, my last PIXMA stopped working only about six months after I purchased it when I upgraded to El Capitan, I believe.

As you probably know from reading different threads here, a lot of folks have had their printers negatively affected by Mojave. Worse yet, Apple has announced that now that it has moved on to AirPrint, it will no longer be releasing driver packages for older printers which still require them. To make matters worse, some printer companies have also stopped providing drivers for their older printers, and "old" is a very subjective word.

I was curious though. You said that Apple Support told you that they know. Are you saying that they acknowledged that there are some serious issues between Mojave and some printers?

Finally, when you attempt to add back your printers, are you choosing "AirPrint" or "CUPS". I have read that macOS chooses "AirPrint" by default, even if the printer actually requires CUPS and its own drivers.

Mar 25, 2019 2:35 PM in response to WordWeaver777

You're not wrong. It's aggravating for these companies on whom we depend to orphan perfectly functional (not 'old' in my opinion) machines, whether their own or peripherals.

Yes, after about 4 hours on with Support, when I added my own third party tech (to whom I'm into for about $800 trying to solve this problem) and he reported he found this thread that lots of Mac users are now suffering because of Mojave, the answr came back: oh yes, I see there is a note; we recognize the problem but engineers have no projected date for a fix. So, in the meantime, we can ... what?

When adding back, I've tried all methods, including Air Print, Secure Print and the printer itself. You'd think Air Print would work, since no drivers are required. And Apple says the printer in question is still supported, so you'd think CUPS would work. But nope. And here's the double aggravation. That printer in question continues to communicate with my same-vintage Air, upgraded to Mojave, but not with the Pro.

Mar 25, 2019 2:39 PM in response to John Galt

Sadly, most all those fixes are either irrelevant (move closer -- well, its a wired printer; update your software -- it always is) or were tried. The only thing Support didn't suggest was wiping out the drivers from the Library, which we will try. But, almost undoubtedly the problem is something inside Mojave, not a traditional laptop-to-printer problem.

Mar 26, 2019 8:53 AM in response to John Galt

That is impressive, John. I remember using one of those noisy ribbon-based printers back during the early 1990s in a business I worked at, at the time. I can hear that nerve-grinding noise in my head now as the ribbon slides back and forth. In fact, that is where I gained my very first experience with a computer. It was a Mac SE or a Mac Plus, as I recall. :)

Apr 1, 2019 8:28 AM in response to John Galt

What are you saying John, that the printers I've purchased and installed have to be upgraded so as to work with AirPrint protocols? If a printer doesn't have AirPrint hardware built into it, then what?

I updated our schools office iMacs to Mojave and since then our office staff has had many issues where no printers are listed when they try to print from Word, Preview, our in-house software, etc. I have the staff close all applications, restart and most of the time their printers reappear. While no printers are available, we notice that System Preferences is Not Responding.

I can check with our printer manufactures and update any printer drives, again, but if a laser printer wasn't made with AirPrint technology, and has been working on our campus via Ethernet, how can Apple force me to use AirPrint? Isn't AirPrint a hardware technology built into printers?

Printers Disappear after Mojave Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.