Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact name disappears when called or text

When I receive or send a text to a number I have not contacted recently the contact will disappear after the text is sent. It only happens to contacts that have been added to this phone, not once that have been transferred over from past phones.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 2:40 PM

Good afternoon hworth14,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have a question about retaining contact information after you have received or sent a text. You will be able to see these conversations and contact data in the Messages app. But if you wish to retain the individual's contact information, you would need to add her or him to your address book in the Contacts app. Here's how:

1. Open a text message that is showing a phone number (this would be an individual that is not in your Contacts).
  2. At the top of the message tap on the telephone number with the > icon beside it.
  3. Tap the info icon ("i")
  4. You will see the word Details at the top of the screen.
  5. Tap the > to the right of the telephone number again
  6. You'll see a list of options including "Create New Contact" or "Add to Existing Contact"

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2019 2:40 PM in response to hworth14

Good afternoon hworth14,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have a question about retaining contact information after you have received or sent a text. You will be able to see these conversations and contact data in the Messages app. But if you wish to retain the individual's contact information, you would need to add her or him to your address book in the Contacts app. Here's how:

1. Open a text message that is showing a phone number (this would be an individual that is not in your Contacts).
  2. At the top of the message tap on the telephone number with the > icon beside it.
  3. Tap the info icon ("i")
  4. You will see the word Details at the top of the screen.
  5. Tap the > to the right of the telephone number again
  6. You'll see a list of options including "Create New Contact" or "Add to Existing Contact"

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

Contact name disappears when called or text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.