Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"speech downloader is trying to modify your system settings"

Hello --

I have been seeing a pop-up window that has the message shown in the tag line of this thread:

"speech downloader is trying to modify your system settings".

• I hit the "cancel" button each time. It's come up maybe six times in the course of a few weeks.
  • It does NOT have the "more information" link that normal Apple software updates offer.
  • It requests that I enter my password to allow this (I have not done so).
  • Since it comes out of the blue and not the way other Apple Updates occur, and since I can't seem to find any reference to 'speech downloader' in my applications or other settings, I suspect this is a spam or malware.

Can anyone offer information, suggestions, or a solution?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 10:54 AM

damselfli wrote:
"change system settings".... ?

Anytime one app need to communicate with another app that effect the system wide, it needs to change settings—this is a security feature— the system setting here it needs your "permission."

You hold the keys to the kingdom.

You can disregard at your leisure or make changes

>System Prefs > Accessibility > Speech > System Voice (drop down) > Customize...

Look for voices that were selected to "Upgrade to enhanced quality". After unchecking those boxes, the prompt with that Speech Downloader pop-up box will stop.

For later macOS you can from

>System Prefs > Accessibility >Siri >make changes to your preferences

You can disable Siri here as well.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2019 10:54 AM in response to damselfli

damselfli wrote:
"change system settings".... ?

Anytime one app need to communicate with another app that effect the system wide, it needs to change settings—this is a security feature— the system setting here it needs your "permission."

You hold the keys to the kingdom.

You can disregard at your leisure or make changes

>System Prefs > Accessibility > Speech > System Voice (drop down) > Customize...

Look for voices that were selected to "Upgrade to enhanced quality". After unchecking those boxes, the prompt with that Speech Downloader pop-up box will stop.

For later macOS you can from

>System Prefs > Accessibility >Siri >make changes to your preferences

You can disable Siri here as well.

Mar 26, 2019 12:23 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you very much for showing the screenshot so that I could follow where this is located!

• I didn't realize my laptop had Siri -- I've never used it in the past, only on my phone.
  • I have Siri turned off (I just checked) on my System Preferences.
  • I have dictation turned off as well (found in the Accessibility Preferences).
  • Why would this be trying to modify my system settings?

Thanks in advance --

"speech downloader is trying to modify your system settings"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.