Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Time Machine (Encrypted) Not Auto-Mounting on Boot with 10.14.4

Ever since the update to 10.14.4, my external SSD (Journaled, Encrypted) which serves as my Time Machine backup disk does not automatically mount on start-up as it used to.

There are also no prompts for password to mount the disk.

I have to manually mount it each time in Disk Utility.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

PS. I have tried removing and re-selecting the aforementioned external SSD as my Time Machine backup destination.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 28, 2019 12:34 AM in response to Chriz555 In response to Chriz555

I initially thought this was a Time Machine related issue, but as you (and other redditors) note and I have since observed, the same problem is present on my other Mac when updated to 10.14.4 too - a MacBook Air + External HDD (partitioned with 2 volumes - APFS + HFS, both encrypted).

So it would seem it is an issue with how macOS has been changed to handle auto-authentication (via keychain-saved disk password) > auto-mount for external encrypted disks regardless of format or use (Time Machine or not).

PS. Interesting comment on no prompt for passphrase if it's the same as login -- did you mean you at least get a password prompt even if not auto-mounted iff your disk password is different from your login password?

Mar 31, 2019 9:34 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Yes, exactly the same problem here too on my MacBook Pro. Won’t mount the 2 time machine external drives automatically. Works fine once I mount manually in disc utility. Problem started immediately after update.

Had to verify with both login password and keychain disc passwords (different passwords) separately for both encrypted backups. After that it hasn’t asked again.

Also, tried adding time machine to the list of permissions in keychain amongst various things with no joy.

I did notice that there were 2 separate CSuseragent entries in the keychain permissions. Could this be important? Bit worried about removing one to check as I wouldn’t know how to re-add it.

Hope a fix is released soon, it’s very annoying!!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Mar 27, 2019 8:37 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Yes, I'm experiencing the exact same issue with a secondary encrypted drive (Software RAID on two SSD) on my MacPro 2012. I have to manually mount it via Disk Utility after each boot.

You are not the only one. It started with 10.14.4.

https://www..reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/b5o33z/external_hdd_is_not_connected_on_mojave_10144/

Mar 27, 2019 8:37 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 27, 2019 8:39 PM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Well, crap. Looks like this is wider spread than I thought.

I'm in the process of decrypting the drive now to see if that works. I hope Apple acknowledges this soon (or at all?). Looks like we'll have to create a script to mount the disk or create an fstab file.

Mar 27, 2019 8:39 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 27, 2019 8:57 PM in response to shacker2762 In response to shacker2762

I tried. Unfortunately, a script requires manual or automatic input (cleartext...?) of the passphrase to decrypt the CoreStorage and then mount the drive. Somehow, Disk Utility doesn't ask for the passphrase to mount the disk if it's the same as your login password.

Mar 27, 2019 8:57 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 27, 2019 11:48 PM in response to Chriz555 In response to Chriz555

i have no idea. but your not being clear. do you mean "Disk Utility" mounts the drive without asking for a pass? But your problem is it's not auto mounted, so that issue is not yet arrived, because your first problem is it's not automounted.

/Users/you/Library holds personal settings, app data specific to you (perhaps that disk you made encrypted - the auto settings were in Library and are not part of upgrade). Library settings are not always upgraded perfectly because apps have tons of options and some old options are not supported and some option combinations are simply not predictable (for 75 options calculate 75! (75 factorial) and see how many loose ends there can be).

your first problem is to find out if this is a disk setting (to change on that disk - perhaps in extended partition type), an OS default setting, or a user/Library stored setting

(the below wrong for your problem, but an example. also note 'defaults' can list all categories / items that have settings on the system)

$ defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

(here we see that mojave has a breadth of tools from the Terminal app. i have no time to chase down this issue though. open terminal:)

$ man man

$ man diskutil

<snip>

SEE ALSO

hdiutil(1), mount(8), umount(8), diskmanagementd(8),

diskmanagementstartup(8), diskarbitrationd(8), corestoraged(8),

fdesetup(8), ioreg(8), newfs_hfs(8), fsck_hfs(8), authopen(1),

hfs.util(8), msdos.util(8), ufs.util(8), drutil(1), vsdbutil(8)

i assume diskarbitrationd is interesting and should be running (but ends up not being the issue)

I would instead check Launchpad->Console, which is very thorough, and see what messages arise concerning the disk when it is mounted. If there are no "hang ups" or errors, then you can assume mounting is normal and your issue is that the disk is simply not selected for automount.

did you try?

$man autofs

it could simply be that your disk has a mount point to a directory that autofs no longer auto mounts in mojave

on the other hand, if you have a backup, your intuition that it wouldn't be a bad idea to "re-create" the encryped drive. perhaps the filesystem is different and the old one, if encrypted, is not automounted, may be right

I see advice on how to prevent automount but not how to "re-enable it" since it's rather automatic.

Just because it's hard to find advice on it may be reason enough to do it "the long way".

I really can't help more because i don't have an encrypted journal (which mac format?) drive to run tests on. sorry.

Mar 27, 2019 11:48 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 28, 2019 12:05 AM in response to QuietMacFan In response to QuietMacFan

@ QuietMacFan

If you have no idea, perhaps it would be a good idea to get a disk, encrypt it and see if you can replicate and properly appreciate the problem which others have apparently understood and chimed in on - did you try? - before attempting to contribute an irrelevant essay solution. Thank you!

Mar 28, 2019 12:05 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Mar 28, 2019 12:34 AM in response to Chriz555 In response to Chriz555

I initially thought this was a Time Machine related issue, but as you (and other redditors) note and I have since observed, the same problem is present on my other Mac when updated to 10.14.4 too - a MacBook Air + External HDD (partitioned with 2 volumes - APFS + HFS, both encrypted).

So it would seem it is an issue with how macOS has been changed to handle auto-authentication (via keychain-saved disk password) > auto-mount for external encrypted disks regardless of format or use (Time Machine or not).

PS. Interesting comment on no prompt for passphrase if it's the same as login -- did you mean you at least get a password prompt even if not auto-mounted iff your disk password is different from your login password?

Mar 28, 2019 12:34 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 28, 2019 10:16 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Same thing here. I have tried many things. Today, I even reformatted my TM ssd disk, but without solving the issue. TM ssd is not auto mounted. I think it is a bug.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250260562?answerId=250485782022#250485782022

Best,

A.

Mar 28, 2019 10:16 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 28, 2019 6:09 PM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

I have to log on with my password to open my session. Once I'm in, I can mount the drive via Disk Utility without a password (Right-click + Mount). No prompt for a password, but as I said, it's the same password for both my account & my encrypted drive. So probably a normal behavior at this point.

I haven't tried changing my account password and try mounting the drive again. I'll give it a try soon and will post any update.

Mar 28, 2019 6:09 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 28, 2019 9:55 PM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. Been trying to fix it all day with no solution. I have 2 external encrypted hard drives and they won't auto mount on boot. I have to go into Disk Utility and manually mount them. I thought maybe my drives were failing but no it's the update since this only started happening right after I updated to 10.14.4

Mar 28, 2019 9:55 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 29, 2019 3:09 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Exactly the same here: since 10.14.4, one non-encrypted APFS drive automounts at startup, three Time Machine encrypted HFS+ drives don't. Sometimes one alerts pops up at a later time, asking to authenticate with my user password, to provide access to the drive encryption password stored in the keychain; I imagine this is when a Time Machine backup is initiated. Other than that, I have to open Disk Utility where the drives are shown but their names greyed out. Clicking the Mount button, the drive encryption password was asked the first time IIRC; opting then for this password to be remembered (there was a checkbox for that in the dialog), all the other times after that all that needs to be done is click the Mount button. Still, this needs to be done for each and every drive each time the Mac is rebooted. Probably that doesn't matter, but my Mac internal drive is encrypted too.

Mar 29, 2019 3:09 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 29, 2019 9:23 PM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

I'm having this problem, too. But, to verify, I went ahead and decrypted my Time Machine backup drive (took a couple of days but backups happen during decryption so you're covered if you want to take this route) and it mounted just like normal after a reboot.

So Apple's update has broken encrypted Time Machine backup drive automounting. I'm going to re-encrypt later on and see if creating an /etc/fstab file solves the problem.

Mar 29, 2019 9:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 31, 2019 9:34 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

Yes, exactly the same problem here too on my MacBook Pro. Won’t mount the 2 time machine external drives automatically. Works fine once I mount manually in disc utility. Problem started immediately after update.

Had to verify with both login password and keychain disc passwords (different passwords) separately for both encrypted backups. After that it hasn’t asked again.

Also, tried adding time machine to the list of permissions in keychain amongst various things with no joy.

I did notice that there were 2 separate CSuseragent entries in the keychain permissions. Could this be important? Bit worried about removing one to check as I wouldn’t know how to re-add it.

Hope a fix is released soon, it’s very annoying!!

Mar 31, 2019 9:34 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Apr 1, 2019 12:38 AM in response to removetxtforward In response to removetxtforward

I have raised a bug report via the Apple developer support channel, the case has been marked a duplicate - which means someone else had raised the same issue before me - but support has given no indication as to the timeline and release we can expect a fix in.

Would encourage all experiencing the same to also call-in to file a bug report - so Apple has more datapoints (system/peripherals configs) and feels more pressure to work on a fix sooner than later.

Apr 1, 2019 12:38 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Apr 4, 2019 5:08 AM in response to Joz1975 In response to Joz1975

Further to my previous post, I went ahead and deleted the keychain entry for both my external hard drives. When I rebooted it requested the keychain password and then the hard drives appeared on my desktop without manually mounting. However, when I rebooted again they didn’t auto mount. I then rebooted without the drives connected and reconnected once open, they appeared without manual mount. Regardless of these minor successes, they obviously still don’t do what they should when already connected.

I’ve also reported this to Apple as an issue. Hopefully they’ll be a fix soon.

Apr 4, 2019 5:08 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: removetxtforward

Question: Time Machine (Encrypted) Not Auto-Mounting on Boot with 10.14.4