Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to solve permission issue during the Finder copy of Time Machine backups? Or find another way to copy Time Machine backups...

I followed the instructions in the KB article about how to copy a Time Machine backup to a new drive (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202380). Both disks are formatted with APFS (Case-sensitive, Journaled). But after about 160GB (out of ~450GB) the copy fails with the error message "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items".

I tried it multiple times, always starting from scratch. Every time it seem's to stop at the same point. The copy is done while being logged in as administrator. The author of this question describes the same issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8328053

Since I couldn't get it working with the approach suggested by Apple I tried a few more things to copy my Time Machine backup to a new disk. Before turning to the command line approaches I made sure that Terminal has been granted Full Disk Access.

Restore with Disk Utility

Fails with

Source volume format on device "/dev/disk2s2" is not valid for restoring
Could not validate source - Operation not permitted

To be honest I didn't expect too much from this idea as the disks don't have the same size. Both are formatted with APFS though.

rsync (1)

$ sudo rsync -avHAX /Volumes/Source/Backups.backupdb /Volumes/Destination/

Fails because the preserved ACLs prevent rsync to copy files into the directories.

pax

$ cd /Volumes/Source && sudo pax -rw ./Backups.backupdb /Volumes/Destination/

Same permission issue as with rsync (1).

pax: Could not create: /Volumes/Time Machine/./Backups.backupdb/Moriarty/2017-12-08-223346 <Operation not permitted>

rsync (2)

$ sudo rsync -avHX /Volumes/Source/Backups.backupdb /Volumes/Destination/

Might actually work but is super slow. For small files it takes about 10 seconds per file. After 3 hours I gave up when it had copied not more than 9MB. The idea was to restore the ACLs after all files had been copied.

find + tar

$ cd /Volumes/Source && sudo find -d Backups.backupdb -print > ~/TMFileList
$ sudo tar -cf - -T /Users/Administrator/TMFileList | sudo tar -xpvSf - -C /Volumes/Time\ Machine/

Same issue as with rsync (2). Way to slow to be useful at all.

The problem with rsync (2) and find + tar seems to be that there are long periods of inactivity between file transfers. In those period no disk IO is ongoing and neither is there any significant CPU load. This issue is also reported by this guy: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/323691. I have no good idea of what could be the issue in this case.

Any additional suggestions or ideas about how to copy TM backups from one disk to another are very welcome.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 9:05 AM

mpflanzer wrote:
Not sure why Apple recommends the Finder copy as preferred way. Maybe because they don't want to "force" you to reboot into recovery.

From the Apple kb:

Restore your Mac from a backup https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Restore both macOS and your files

These steps erase your hard disk, then use your backup to restore both your files and the specific version of macOS you were using when you created the backup.

1. Make sure that your Time Machine backup disk is connected and turned on.
    2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R to start up from macOS Recovery.
    3. When you see the macOS Utilities window, choose the option to restore from a Time Machine Backup.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2019 9:05 AM in response to mpflanzer

mpflanzer wrote:
Not sure why Apple recommends the Finder copy as preferred way. Maybe because they don't want to "force" you to reboot into recovery.

From the Apple kb:

Restore your Mac from a backup https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Restore both macOS and your files

These steps erase your hard disk, then use your backup to restore both your files and the specific version of macOS you were using when you created the backup.

1. Make sure that your Time Machine backup disk is connected and turned on.
    2. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R to start up from macOS Recovery.
    3. When you see the macOS Utilities window, choose the option to restore from a Time Machine Backup.

Apr 5, 2019 8:56 AM in response to mpflanzer

I finally managed to restore my new disk with the content of the old disk using the Disk Utility app in recovery mode (keep Cmd + r pressed during boot process). Apparently Apple added additional safety checks for Time Machine disks that prevent the "normal" Disk Utility to select a TM disk as source of a restore. In recovery mode, however, Disk Utility seems to skip these new safeguards.

So actually using Disk Utility seems to be the best option to copy Time Machine backups over to a new disk. Its block copy is much faster than a copy on filesystem level (using Finder) and it even resized the restored partition to my new (larger) disk size. Not sure why Apple recommends the Finder copy as preferred way. Maybe because they don't want to "force" you to reboot into recovery.

Mar 27, 2019 11:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

The first point is of course absolutely correct. And indeed the both disks are formatted with "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)". I just mixed it up when writing the question (I guess I tried too many things by now ;-).

Since the original backup disk is case-sensitive I guess I don't have much of a choice for the new one. But I also don't see to many issue coming up because of that.

How to solve permission issue during the Finder copy of Time Machine backups? Or find another way to copy Time Machine backups...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.