Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup bundle band permissions problem

I am trying to migrate from a 2TB Time Capsule to a 5TB USB drive. MacBook Pro under Catalina. In copying from the the TC to the new drive I get permission errors on two "band" folders and these do not copy. I think I have tried everything reasonable: DiskUtility doesn't acknowledge the TC drive so makes no attempt at permission repair and it will not allow me to restore from the TC to the new drive, copying as root doesn't help, SuperDuper copies to the point it fails on the first permission problem, ditto for a Finder drag/drop. I've tried random changes of ownership and permissions -- all of which are ignored.

Any thoughts from the hive mind?

cp: Volumes/Data/Keith’s MacBook Pro.backupbundle/bands/2784d: Permission denied

cp: Volumes/Data/Keith’s MacBook Pro.backupbundle/bands/d987: Permission denied

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 6:15 AM

You must format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Was that done when you connected it to the Mac?

Can you use the Restore function in Disk Utility using the TC as source?

Is there any way to connect the TC directly to the Mac so that it works as an external drive and not network?

Here is how to manage the TC drive. Try repairing it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202174

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 6:15 AM in response to khermiz

You must format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Was that done when you connected it to the Mac?

Can you use the Restore function in Disk Utility using the TC as source?

Is there any way to connect the TC directly to the Mac so that it works as an external drive and not network?

Here is how to manage the TC drive. Try repairing it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202174

Dec 28, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it's formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Restore errors: "Source volume is read-write and cannot be unmounted, so it can't be block copied." and gives code OSStatus error 19. The TC is essentially a router so there isn't a way to improve things -- it is connected to may MacBook via Ethernet. And, yes, I've tried restarting the TC (without knowing it did a self check.)

Time Machine backup bundle band permissions problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.