Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Migration Assistant Unable to Copy Documents, Pictures, Music

I'm migrating from a 2016 MBP to a 2018 MBP. Both are updated to Mac OS 10.14.4 (latest version of Mojave). I've used Migration Assistant to migrate my files in a variety of ways: Target Disk mode between my laptops, from Time Machine backup, and using a backup created by SuperDuper (a hard drive cloning program).

All result in more or less the same outcome of most of my setting not getting migrated, none of my photos, none of my music. Basically anything that is categorized as a Document in the Storage app of System Profiler is left behind.

After three failed attempts in doing this multiple ways, I decided to just start the painful task of figuring out what I'm missing by copying things by hand from my SuperDuper backup and that's when I discovered that my new Mac is unable to access the folders that the missing files reside in. I've got those red circles that indicate that you do not have permission to view these files. When browsing the backup, my new Mac seems to think those folders belong to a separate user. I presume these permission issues are also messing up the migration. 

I have 1.5TB worth of files and only around 300GB gets transferred. The migration takes anywhere between 5 hours and 24 hours depending on how I'm doing it. It appears to me that Migration Assistant is trying to move all of those files otherwise I don't think the migration would take so long to finish.

I'm in the process of trying another migration from my SuperDuper backup, but this time I've wiped my new MBP and did a fresh install of Mojave so I'm not running Migration Assistant on top of a previously failed migration.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 4:35 PM

I was able to resolve this issue by rebooting my new MBP in recovery mode and doing a clean install of OS X after erasing the existing volume by using Disk Utility from recovery mode. The step of wiping everything out first is important or some files that doomed your previous attempts to migrate will be left behind to doom all future attempts.

The issue was that there ended up being two versions of my user account that got created when the initial migration happened. Migration Assistant crashed on me when running it from start-up the first time I powered on my new MBP and it behaved erratically from the start. Somehow a duplicate of my account got created and Migration Assistant ended up migrating to that duplicate account, which was not recogized as the owner of most of the documents that was on my old MBP so the files were either never moved or discarded immediately after they got moved.

One way you can tell if this might be happening to you is if Migration Assistant appears to stall for incredibly long periods of time. If the progress bar rarely moves and it says something like 18 hours remaining for an entire two hours, you are probably experiencing this issue. I have nearly 1TB of photos. None of those were moved so when it reached my photos stash, the progress bar froze for many hours. I presume what was happening was that Migration Assistant was trying to move that 1TB of files, failing a single file at a time and because no files got moved for hours, the progress bar never advanced and remained frozen at the state it was in when the last file was successfully moved.

If the progress bar freezes for 10 minutes or even 20 minutes, I wouldn't worry about it so long as it seems to be advancing at regular intervals and the freezes are the exception rather than the rule.

Another sign that you're suffering from this issue is if you browse a cloned copy of your old drive and you're unable to view the contents of the folders that aren't getting transferred. They'll have a red circle over them to indicate you don't have permission to view the contents and Finder will report that the folder is 0 bytes in size.

Everything that I described above is a sign that the new Mac isn't recognizing the user(s) of the new Mac as the same accounts that existed on the old one and you just need to wipe it all out and start over.

I did this transfer exercise four times in all. It took three full days! The fastest was a TB3 to TB3 between the two MBPs directly. That took about 8 hours, but it meant I couldn't get any work done on either computer in the time being. The slowest was hooking into a Time Machine volume over Ethernet which took 24 hours. I didn't try over WiFi. I'm sure that would have taken even longer.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2019 4:35 PM in response to hyperlinked

I was able to resolve this issue by rebooting my new MBP in recovery mode and doing a clean install of OS X after erasing the existing volume by using Disk Utility from recovery mode. The step of wiping everything out first is important or some files that doomed your previous attempts to migrate will be left behind to doom all future attempts.

The issue was that there ended up being two versions of my user account that got created when the initial migration happened. Migration Assistant crashed on me when running it from start-up the first time I powered on my new MBP and it behaved erratically from the start. Somehow a duplicate of my account got created and Migration Assistant ended up migrating to that duplicate account, which was not recogized as the owner of most of the documents that was on my old MBP so the files were either never moved or discarded immediately after they got moved.

One way you can tell if this might be happening to you is if Migration Assistant appears to stall for incredibly long periods of time. If the progress bar rarely moves and it says something like 18 hours remaining for an entire two hours, you are probably experiencing this issue. I have nearly 1TB of photos. None of those were moved so when it reached my photos stash, the progress bar froze for many hours. I presume what was happening was that Migration Assistant was trying to move that 1TB of files, failing a single file at a time and because no files got moved for hours, the progress bar never advanced and remained frozen at the state it was in when the last file was successfully moved.

If the progress bar freezes for 10 minutes or even 20 minutes, I wouldn't worry about it so long as it seems to be advancing at regular intervals and the freezes are the exception rather than the rule.

Another sign that you're suffering from this issue is if you browse a cloned copy of your old drive and you're unable to view the contents of the folders that aren't getting transferred. They'll have a red circle over them to indicate you don't have permission to view the contents and Finder will report that the folder is 0 bytes in size.

Everything that I described above is a sign that the new Mac isn't recognizing the user(s) of the new Mac as the same accounts that existed on the old one and you just need to wipe it all out and start over.

I did this transfer exercise four times in all. It took three full days! The fastest was a TB3 to TB3 between the two MBPs directly. That took about 8 hours, but it meant I couldn't get any work done on either computer in the time being. The slowest was hooking into a Time Machine volume over Ethernet which took 24 hours. I didn't try over WiFi. I'm sure that would have taken even longer.

Mojave Migration Assistant Unable to Copy Documents, Pictures, Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.