Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did all of my data go into a recents folder in the finder window when i used migration assitant?

I purchased the new Mac Mini M1 recently and used migration assistant to transfer all of my data from my 2012 Mac Mini. All of the data appears to have transferred over with the exception of some folders. My problem is that everything went into the recents folder of the finder window. It is very difficult and time consuming to try and segregate the date now into new folders. Is there a fix for this, did I not perform the migration properly, or am I stuck with moving groups of files into new folders that I will need to create.

I had replaced hdd in the 2012 Mac Mini with a 500GB ssd. I intend on using that drive as another storage as I have ordered one of the new Docks with an enclosure for an SSD. Will I experience any issues of compatibility?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 5:51 PM

Hi imabuku99,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that after using Migration Assistant your files went in to the recents folder instead of their previous folders in Finder.

On your new Mac, were you prompted to rename your account or replace the one on your new Mac? This can happen if your accounts have the same name on the old Mac and new Mac. Move your content to a new Mac has more information about this. Try logging out of your user account and check to see if there is another user account. If so, log in there and look for your files to see if your folders appear correctly.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 5:51 PM in response to imabuku99

Hi imabuku99,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that after using Migration Assistant your files went in to the recents folder instead of their previous folders in Finder.

On your new Mac, were you prompted to rename your account or replace the one on your new Mac? This can happen if your accounts have the same name on the old Mac and new Mac. Move your content to a new Mac has more information about this. Try logging out of your user account and check to see if there is another user account. If so, log in there and look for your files to see if your folders appear correctly.

Take care.

Mar 2, 2021 12:27 AM in response to CarlAVII

When I did the migration I used my same account information. I have gone back in and researched my email box and found almost everything intact. I think what may have happened, I was so used to sticking everything on to a cliuttered desktop, which I now know is not a good practice I am trying to be more diligent in where I put my documents now. Thank you for the link to the article. Cheers and beers!

Why did all of my data go into a recents folder in the finder window when i used migration assitant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.