Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving and/or backing up "Previously Relocated Items"

I have recently upgraded from 10.14 to 10.15.7 and had all of my working files placed into the "Previously Relocated Items" folder via Mac HD > Users > Shared > Previously... > Security > My working files. My question is two-fold:

1. Where should I relocate this folder, if need be
    2. I need to add a new external hard drive for Time Machine as the current one is full and needs replacing.

OR is it ok to connect the new external hard drive and simply point it to the thread above? I have no idea what to do here.

Many thanks for your guidance.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 8:42 AM

Where should I relocate this folder, if need be

Store you documents in your Home folder. There are already subfolders for groups like Documents, Pictures, Movies, etc.

You can create your own folders inside your home, too.

. I need to add a new external hard drive for Time Machine as the current one is full and needs replacing.

If your backup drive is full, and you are replacing it with a new one, then it should ask you if you want to use it with Time Machine the first time you connect it to your Mac.

You can also open Time Machine preferences and click Select Disk to add the new drive to your list of destinations.

While in there, you can remove the old drive.

In both cases, it will warn you that it will format the drive, erasing everything on it. That should not be an issue with a new, empty drive.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 8:42 AM in response to Design57

Where should I relocate this folder, if need be

Store you documents in your Home folder. There are already subfolders for groups like Documents, Pictures, Movies, etc.

You can create your own folders inside your home, too.

. I need to add a new external hard drive for Time Machine as the current one is full and needs replacing.

If your backup drive is full, and you are replacing it with a new one, then it should ask you if you want to use it with Time Machine the first time you connect it to your Mac.

You can also open Time Machine preferences and click Select Disk to add the new drive to your list of destinations.

While in there, you can remove the old drive.

In both cases, it will warn you that it will format the drive, erasing everything on it. That should not be an issue with a new, empty drive.

Apr 26, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Design57

I don't know whether it must. It may be a permission issue where it must make a copy to give you ownership of the files, but I'm not sure.

You can hold down the command key when you drop the folder which should toggle copy/move behavior (green + badge should disappear). If it allows you to move, it may not fix the ownership, but we should be able to fix that after the move.

Moving and/or backing up "Previously Relocated Items"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.