Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime won't open .mov files created by iPhone XS Plus at 4K

I recorded high quality video files on my iPhone XS Plus -- 4K at 24fps.

I moved these files over from my phone via two methods: via Image Capture onto my iMac and via Dropbox uploads. My mac will not open these files in quicktime despite them being .mov files. iMovie also refuses to open these files.

I don't understand how I am supposed to view these videos once they leave my phone.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 10:29 PM

It may depend on the OS version of the Mac, and some other settings:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Macs with macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later, should be able to handle HEVC (H.265) media.

Macs with macOS Sierra 10.12 or earlier, should be able to have HEVC (H.265) media converted to AVC (H.264) automatically on transfer, with the right settings.

To make future recordings in AVC (H.264) instead of HEVC (H.265), change on your iPhone: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible.

To convert HEVC (H.265) to AVC (H.264) on transfer (e.g. Image Capture), change on iPhone: Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic (Yes: this setting is also for video!) [The other setting, Keep Originals, transfers the file in the native format, without conversion.]

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2019 10:29 PM in response to violetville

It may depend on the OS version of the Mac, and some other settings:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Macs with macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later, should be able to handle HEVC (H.265) media.

Macs with macOS Sierra 10.12 or earlier, should be able to have HEVC (H.265) media converted to AVC (H.264) automatically on transfer, with the right settings.

To make future recordings in AVC (H.264) instead of HEVC (H.265), change on your iPhone: Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible.

To convert HEVC (H.265) to AVC (H.264) on transfer (e.g. Image Capture), change on iPhone: Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic (Yes: this setting is also for video!) [The other setting, Keep Originals, transfers the file in the native format, without conversion.]

Quicktime won't open .mov files created by iPhone XS Plus at 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.