You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot with USB installer stick stuck at apple logo and progress bar

I want to clean install MacOS Mojave on my retina MacBook Pro (13").

I created a bootable USB stick using createinstallmedia tool from "Install MacOS Mojave.app".

On selecting the usb stick from the boot menu (that appears after pressing option key during boot), the apple logo appears and the progress bar fills up and then it gets stuck. I left it overnight but it was still stuck.

How can I clean install macOS mojave now?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 3:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 5:04 AM

Why not boot into Recovery Mode -- command-r at startup -- use Disk Utility to wipe the disk, and then choose the "Reinstall macOS" option. It will download Mojave from Apple's server and reinstall it for you.

I hope that helps.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 29, 2019 5:15 AM in response to DheemanF04

That is specifically why I said to erase the disk first with Disk Utility.

Before you do that though, if you are certain that there is no issue with your USB stick, you might want to shut down your Mac and try again with the stick, the reason being that doing it over the Internet will obviously take longer. In either case, I would still erase/reformat the disk first, before running the installer.

Mar 29, 2019 5:52 AM in response to DheemanF04

The full Mojave installer is just over 6 GB, while the combo updater is 2.06 GB. However, the updater is of no use to you, being as you will be wiping your hard drive first.

Well, if the USB stick is not working, and you don't have the full installer stored on some other medium such as an external backup drive, then you really have no choice in the matter, as far as I can tell.

Boot with USB installer stick stuck at apple logo and progress bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.