Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

callhistorypluginhelper & memory

My iMac, running Mojave 10.14.3, has slowed way down. Checked the Activity Monitor and see that "callhistorypluginhelper" seems to be hogging the CPU%. What is this for? Do I need it or can I disable it?

FWIW: when I start Facetime it takes many minutes before my contacts and history become available on the left side of the screen. Thx

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 7:07 AM

As you have probably already determined, the "callhistorypluginhelper" is associated with FaceTime. It is a daemon, or background process. If you go here . . .

~/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryDB/

. . . you will find some interesting files; in particular, the "CallHistory.storedata".

This is a database file which you can open with apps such as the free "DB Browser for SQLite". Just google it if you are interested. However, unless you are familiar with mySQL databases, you probably won't understand anything, even if you do figure out how to open it.

The actual binary is located here, but I wouldn't mess with it:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CallHistory.framework/Support/CallHistoryPluginHelper

As far as why it is "hogging the CPU%", that is beyond me. It shouldn't be, as far as I know. Mine doesn't. Barely 1%.

I hope that helps a little. :)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2019 7:07 AM in response to CapeFlyer

As you have probably already determined, the "callhistorypluginhelper" is associated with FaceTime. It is a daemon, or background process. If you go here . . .

~/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryDB/

. . . you will find some interesting files; in particular, the "CallHistory.storedata".

This is a database file which you can open with apps such as the free "DB Browser for SQLite". Just google it if you are interested. However, unless you are familiar with mySQL databases, you probably won't understand anything, even if you do figure out how to open it.

The actual binary is located here, but I wouldn't mess with it:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CallHistory.framework/Support/CallHistoryPluginHelper

As far as why it is "hogging the CPU%", that is beyond me. It shouldn't be, as far as I know. Mine doesn't. Barely 1%.

I hope that helps a little. :)

callhistorypluginhelper & memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.