Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Massive battery drain after WatchOS 5.2 update

Updated my series4 to WatchOS 5.2 last night. Usually on a full charge, I’ll be left with 68% around midnight. Today I’m left with 18% around 7pm. Please fix the issue.

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 2:58 PM

See what it is like after 24 hours. Seems I've read of some people that experienced a quick battery drain within the first part of a day after the update, but things were back to normal after 24 hours. The reset that julieda provided can help with that 24 hour period. Come back if you experience continued issues.

127 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2019 2:58 PM in response to NorthLondonChris

See what it is like after 24 hours. Seems I've read of some people that experienced a quick battery drain within the first part of a day after the update, but things were back to normal after 24 hours. The reset that julieda provided can help with that 24 hour period. Come back if you experience continued issues.

Jul 17, 2019 11:19 PM in response to mariana_vzq

You can do one of the following (probably in this order)

• restart the watch
  • uninstall all apps you’ve put on
  • Unpair and repair with you phone
  • erase Apple Watch settings and content and set up as a new watch (do not restore a backup)
  • take it into Apple Genius Bar

I’ve done everything but take it into Apple as I still have issues. All I know for sure is that my issues started when I updated to watchOS 5.2.1

Apr 21, 2019 9:06 AM in response to -grimlock-

This happened to me but was worser- after the update the watch died on 2 hours. Strangely the previous day before the update it happened to give me 19 hours backup and still at 20% usage with all the functions used in the watch - calls , workouts and music.

Enter 5.2 and poof it’s gone - came down to 2 hours. I even gave up and said junk the watch - as a last resort went to the apple service center and they restored the watch os. The issue was a corrupted download which somehow got installed and made the watch get stuck in power reserve mode at 75% charge left in it.

Now after the is restore - and 15 hours later with a full workout done for one hour and notifications flashing all day and all the features enabled I’m still at 36%.

However one strange thing is as soon as I wear it in the morning it drains fast for the first few minutes - my observation is that it drained out 10% in the first 25 mins of wearing but settled down later.

Please goto the apple service center and let them restore the watch OS and try again. This issue is not resolvable by resetting or re-pairing the watch - I’ve gone thru that cycle half a dozen times before I went to the service center.

Hope this helps

Kiran

Apr 22, 2019 5:45 AM in response to johnnysinsdad

Dear community Let me share my last attempt : Please asurre any link with your watch is ereased do this in any Apple that you have with the same Apple id, after this perform the reset in both iPhone and Iwatch (please in this case you need to select and push to confirm the reset, yes!! It is a “botton” not only text!!) It seems it works again KR

May 20, 2019 4:45 AM in response to -grimlock-

I agree with ChrisJ4203

Give the Watch 24-48 hours, similar with the iPhone after an update there may be some processing the background that will use your battery. The WatchOS may need time to re-index and sort itself.

After 48 hours has passed, if you find your Watch battery life is still significantly lower than the previous Watch OS, you can contact Apple Support and let them know.

- Keep bluetooth turned on, on the paired iPhone as having it turned off increases the battery drain on the Watch

- View Watch usage from the Watch App on iPhone > General > Usage

May 20, 2019 10:32 AM in response to -grimlock-

I'm having the same issues with my AW Series 2. Unusual battery drain and charging issues; I started checking that my watch was actually at 100% at the start of the day after charging all night and this morning I found it was at 78% whilst still on the charger after 9 hours. This appears to be intermittent and has only started since the update.

May 20, 2019 2:35 PM in response to NorthLondonChris

I have the exact same issue after the update. Have tried unpairing and repairing from back up, setting up as new watch etc. Nothing seems to make any difference. In addition, messages in the dock move up and down when trying to read.

I believe this may be actually an issue with iOS 12.3 because when streaming music with my iphoneX, the volume oscillates up-and-down. No problems before updates. Telling my family and friends to hold off on the updates until a bug fix is issued.

May 23, 2019 3:15 PM in response to kennedyfromcape

I updated my series 3 with 5.2.1 and now my battery that use to last two days only last 12 hours now. I also did the reset, unpair and setup as a new watch. Apple looked at my diag and said to mail it in or take it to the Apple store to see if I have to pay to fix it. It seems like Apple can put whatever in there update so that it cost me. I so wish I could go back to the previous update but there is no way to do that, so Apple says. If I get it fixed and working, I will not update if there is no way back.

Massive battery drain after WatchOS 5.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.