Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlight color different in Finder?

I recently upgraded from Sierra to Mojave, set it to Light mode, and noticed that highlight colors function differently. Firstly, I noticed that "yellow" was no longer the regular yellow primary color, but more of an orange-yellow like a monk's robe. Secondly, I noticed Finder used a different color, a dark orange. So I chose "other" in System Preferences/General/Highlight color, and selected a more yellow yellow. That worked, but now the Finder uses a light olive green.

Regardless what color I choose, the Finder uses a different color than say TextEdit. Is there any way to set it so the Finder uses the same highlight color?

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 10:42 AM

14 replies

Mar 29, 2019 8:52 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Crap, this forum just deleted what I just wrote. I guess I have to cut and paste everything to save it. Now, I have to re-write everything. This is very annoying.

Whereas I appreciate your reply, setting the Accent color makes no difference. Did you actually try it? Setting the Accent color as "Yellow" displays as orange. "Yellow" should look yellow. So something is definitely wrong. I'm not a professional visual artist, but I at least have a kindergarten understanding how colors are named, and can manage to buy the right fruits at the supermarket. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the color settings on my monitors, as pictures, video, and graphics, as all appear as they should. Yet, the "Yellow" Accent looks like the same hue as "Orange" only a bit lighter. That's not right.

Although I prefer grey, to the default blue Accent color, no matter what color I choose For Accent, the Highlight still shows as olive green in the Finder and other applications as described above.

Mar 30, 2019 10:54 PM in response to agedport

Let's reiterate for clarity:

1. The Highlight color for "Yellow" doesn't even look yellow in System Preferences/General. It looks light orange, and results in light orange.

2. The Accent for "Yellow" doesn't even look yellow in System Preferences/General. The button looks orange, and results in orange.

3. No matter what color is selected for Highlight, it's a different color in the Finder and in parts of various applications. For example, if "Pink" is selected, highlighting in text edit is pink, but a dark reddish purple in the Finder. So perhaps, it's the same hue, but darker.

4. However, if you select "Other" under "Highlight color" to get yellow, it's olive green in the Finder and in parts of various applications. So something is definitely wrong, as green is not even a darker shade of yellow.

5. There doesn't seem to seem to be a way to set "Accent color" to yellow because there is no option for "Other". So they can't be set the same.

6. Even if that were possible, "Accent color" seems to have no affect on "Highlight color". Nor is there any logical reason why it should — they are two different things.

Highlight color different in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.