Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder search results are useless, unless ridicously specified

When I search for a folder (or file) and I know one word in the name - i just try put that in.

3000 results. Ok, I restrict the search to "folders". One result.

It is beyond me why this one obvious result where the search term exist in one folder name only is not at leat somewhere in the top of the general search.

When would it ever be more likely I'm looking for image files with this term somehow in metadata or other completely pointless files, when theres ONE folder, or ONE file that has the bleeding search term IN THE actual path.

whywhywhy

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 5:22 AM

If you are searching for a full or partial file or folder name, the use the Spotlight name operator.

Find any file with "abc" in its name

name:abc

Find any file with white-space surrounded by the letters s and b in its name:

name:"s b"

Find any file with a PDF extension in the name:

name:.pdf

There are a bunch of these operators that used properly, or in conjunction with one another, can improve your search results. I recommend that you type the word Spotlight into the Finder Help menu Search box. Look at the result menu item that begins with Narrow your Search Results…

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2019 5:22 AM in response to thalund

If you are searching for a full or partial file or folder name, the use the Spotlight name operator.

Find any file with "abc" in its name

name:abc

Find any file with white-space surrounded by the letters s and b in its name:

name:"s b"

Find any file with a PDF extension in the name:

name:.pdf

There are a bunch of these operators that used properly, or in conjunction with one another, can improve your search results. I recommend that you type the word Spotlight into the Finder Help menu Search box. Look at the result menu item that begins with Narrow your Search Results…

Mar 30, 2019 6:45 AM in response to thalund

When you enter the search in Finder, you’ll see a little box appear below the search box with an offer to search for just filenames with that string. Something like search for files named {whatever}. Select that.

Finder uses Spotlight and indexes everything.

If you look at the top of the search output in Finder, you’ll see a search criteria prompt sequence appear at the top of the search way way to save custom searches, and you can set those searches to do all sorts of very specific or very general searches, and csn then re-use those searches. You could save a JPG-type filename search, for instance.

Finder search results are useless, unless ridicously specified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.