Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search Results in Finder No Good.

When I use Search in Finder within a specified folder, my results come back with hundreds of useless files and folders from all across my hard drive. No matter what wording I try. Even the simple term 'food' for a small folder with only food related files gives me endless irrelevant results from old texts, downloads, random documents, etc... It'S searching the entire universe!! I always select a folder name, and not 'my mac' but this still happens. How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:53 AM

Follow this guide to narrow the search results in Finder: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/narrow-search-results-mh15155/mac

Basically, as soon as you start searching for a file/folder in Finder, you can choose in the "Search:" section (just above the search results) to limit the searching to the current folder or to the entire Mac ("This Mac").

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 3:53 AM in response to peter4good

Follow this guide to narrow the search results in Finder: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/narrow-search-results-mh15155/mac

Basically, as soon as you start searching for a file/folder in Finder, you can choose in the "Search:" section (just above the search results) to limit the searching to the current folder or to the entire Mac ("This Mac").

Mar 28, 2020 6:09 AM in response to peter4good

I'd reindex Spotlight.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

You can also use Terminal to restart the index:

sudo mdutil -E /

If you need to reindex an external drive, replace the / with the path to the external drive mount point, e.g. "/Volumes/External drive name/". If there are spaces in the name, use double quotes or escape the spaces with \ : /Volumes/External\ drive\ name/

Search Results in Finder No Good.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.