Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes in my iMac not saving ID3-tags to mp3-files

Hi,

I have searched for an answer for this problem for some time, but could not find a good solution on the internet.

Since a couple of months iTunes is not saving changes I make to ID3-tags to my mp3-files. Every time I change the tag (song info and/or artwork) and save it, it changes back to the original tag and/or artwork. I have no problems with saving tags and/or artwork to ALAC-files.

I found this option in a forum: I have tried Converting ID-3-tags to None (and all other options) but with no satisfying results. I lost artwork and it couldn’t be restored (because iTunes won’t do that). Also, the new tags couldn’t be saved (were changing back). Luckily, I made a backup of the files before I started this, so I could restore the original files with original artwork.

My library and all the files are stored on an external USB hard drive (mac OS extended (journaled) formatted). I have full rights/permissions. Remember, I can save new tags and artwork to ALAC-files.

The strange thing is: I have a Windows 10 notebook with the most recent version of iTunes installed and I have no problems at all updating, changing ID3-tags and artwork.

So, my workaround for the moment is copying mp3-files from my iMac to iTunes on my Windows notebook and do what I have to do with the mp3-files and then copying them back to iTunes on my iMac. I’m getting tired of still having to start 2 devices and copying files between those devices.

What is wrong with my iTunes on my iMac? If there is already a topic with a solution (I couldn’t find it), please post the link. If someone have an answer, please share.

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 9:58 AM

Are you using Airplay on your iMac?

A while back I found I was having issues saving changes to the tags on my mp3's. I was listening to iTunes with headphones and was not aware I had it set to headphones and Airplay to the Apple TV. When I turned off AirPlay to the ATV the changes to the tags was getting wrote to the files as it should be.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2019 9:58 AM in response to 1errel2

Are you using Airplay on your iMac?

A while back I found I was having issues saving changes to the tags on my mp3's. I was listening to iTunes with headphones and was not aware I had it set to headphones and Airplay to the Apple TV. When I turned off AirPlay to the ATV the changes to the tags was getting wrote to the files as it should be.

Apr 7, 2019 6:12 PM in response to Stephen Spark

Thank you so much!

I have been dealing with this nonsense for months. I don't use Apple Music or Match and I have tried all the antidotes listed in this question and some suggestions from other forums. I even rebuilt my large library.

I just turned off airplay (in use 24-7 for our wireless set-up) and now iTunes works as it should. Metadata changes stick! None of the suggestions from anywhere have worked except yours. I'll keep testing but can't believe Apple has let this go on for so long!

iTunes in my iMac not saving ID3-tags to mp3-files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.