Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I convert to mp3 anymore so I can burn to a disc?

My own music library was quite extensive and I also have an Apple Music subscription.

We have very poor internet and I want to have discs for some of my playlists.

In the past I was able to convert files in my own library to mp3 and burn to disc. I understand I cannot burn any to disc that I've just downloaded from Apple Music without purchasing it.

My problem today is that when I try to burn the playlist to disc - it rejects about half of them, which is far more than what it should be as most were in my own library to start with.

When I go to File/Convert - I only have 2 options, 1 to create ID3 tags and 2 to convert to AAC files. There used to be an option here previously to convert to mp3 (from memory).

I don't think I want ID tags, but am not really sure about that. AAC files are too big and would require many more CD's to burn the playlist.

When I look at the 'kind' of files in my playlist they are a mix of:

• AAC audio file
  • Apple Music AAC audio file
  • Matched AAC audio file
  • MPEG audio file
  • Purchased AAC audio file

Can someone tell me which are being allowed to burn and which not?

Many of these songs were in my library before I joined Apple Music - I should be able to burn them to disc. How have their file types changed?

How can I convert them once again to mp3 which no longer seems to appear anywhere?

Is there any way to generate a list of the ones that will be burnt? The CD burns but the playlist data seems to stay the same, even though it has not burnt all the songs?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 3:22 AM

You cannot burn or convert Apple Music AAC audio files, nor anything currently located in the cloud. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support and Convert music file formats in Music on Mac - Apple Support. When burning a playlist to disc the list isn't meant to change. There is no need to convert files before burning if you are making a regular audio CD.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 3:22 AM in response to rayver

You cannot burn or convert Apple Music AAC audio files, nor anything currently located in the cloud. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support and Convert music file formats in Music on Mac - Apple Support. When burning a playlist to disc the list isn't meant to change. There is no need to convert files before burning if you are making a regular audio CD.

tt2

Why can't I convert to mp3 anymore so I can burn to a disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.