Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting and organizing playlists

I have a few questions about Music app on Mac:

I'm converting about 16 CD's to "Apple lossless" but when i select it from encoder settings, the quality cannot be changed.. Is this VBR? (Variable Bit Rate)

I prefer to be lossless, but also 256Kpbs

Unfortunately, after conversion all my songs are 960K, 1,066Kpbs etc... which won't tie in with my Apple music subscription being all 256K. I realize the change of bit rate would justify the meaning of the term 'lossless' but i would assume that is only when converting from other file formats TO.. Not from CD right ? As a CD is usually around 128K anyway..

How can you put more bits into a file which isn't there in the first place ? it won't sound any better.. I like all my music to be consistent.

Also, after converting CD, [Disc 1] and [Disk 2] are appended to album which splits them up in library, Which means i must edit these after-the-fact to be all in the same album, if there are multiple discs..

Is there a way when ripping from CD *NOT* to append these?

It's becoming a really pain.

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 4:15 AM

CD audio is 2 channels x 16 bits x 44.1 kHz=1,411.2 kilobits per second (Kbps). If you rip in a lossless format such as WAV, AIFF, or Apple Lossless, then you're always going to capture all of this data. Apple Lossless will make smaller files, and has better tag support. If you want to rip at the same bit rate used for standard Apple Music then use 256K AAC.

You can edit many properties of the CD such as album title before you rip it. Select all the tracks and Get Info (Cmd+i) to make changes.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 4:15 AM in response to Tech198

CD audio is 2 channels x 16 bits x 44.1 kHz=1,411.2 kilobits per second (Kbps). If you rip in a lossless format such as WAV, AIFF, or Apple Lossless, then you're always going to capture all of this data. Apple Lossless will make smaller files, and has better tag support. If you want to rip at the same bit rate used for standard Apple Music then use 256K AAC.

You can edit many properties of the CD such as album title before you rip it. Select all the tracks and Get Info (Cmd+i) to make changes.

tt2

Converting and organizing playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.