Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pin no 4 is missing in charging port (iPad Pro 10.5)

I had a charging problem and noticed a foreign object in the charging port. It turned out that it was part of the number 4 pin that broke and prevented the charging cable from entering. When I removed the broken part the iPad charging as needed and even when I connects to my MacBook he was recognizing the iPad and transferred data. I would like to know what pin no 4 means when it is missing? Should I need to replace the port?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 11:28 AM

The connector on the Lightning cable is double sided - and can thus be used either way up. Only one side of pins are connected on the socket (device) side. If your Lightning connector continues to work, then you may have been lucky in having broken a pin on the “dummy” side.

As the Lightning connector was damaged by a foreign object - subsequently removed - you may have further damage and be on “borrowed time”. You best course of action would be to take tour iPad the the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store for inspection and advice. The helpful boys and girls at Apple will be best placed to advise you of your available options.

Hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2019 11:28 AM in response to shlomo259

The connector on the Lightning cable is double sided - and can thus be used either way up. Only one side of pins are connected on the socket (device) side. If your Lightning connector continues to work, then you may have been lucky in having broken a pin on the “dummy” side.

As the Lightning connector was damaged by a foreign object - subsequently removed - you may have further damage and be on “borrowed time”. You best course of action would be to take tour iPad the the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store for inspection and advice. The helpful boys and girls at Apple will be best placed to advise you of your available options.

Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2019 11:24 AM in response to shlomo259

Depending on which pin #4 (moving left right, right left) it could either be the power pin or the device identification pin. I find it extremely odd that it can still transfer data because in my experience Apple doesn't let iTunes transfer data to unidentified devices. But it couldn't be the power pin, as you said it was functioning. Here is a diagram to aid in the diagnosis of your issue.

Pin no 4 is missing in charging port (iPad Pro 10.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.