Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic after upgrading to 10.14.4

I recently updated two 2013 Mac Pros to 10.14.4 and immediately they started having kernel panics after about five minutes. It even happens in recovery mode. I eventually swapped hard drives with another Mac Pro that hadn't been upgraded, and it seems to run stable there. The hard drive without 10.14.4 seems to be running fine in the machine that was panicking. Currently I've at least got one machine up and going, but it's frustrating. Anyone else ran into this problem?

The panic I'm getting can be seen at this Github gist. It seems to always be a different process, and sometimes the panic message is slightly different, but it always seems to be some form the NMIPI for Unresponsive Processor panic.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 2:05 PM

I started having this problem on 10.14.5 yesterday. After reading through all the options and trying various things, I believe that one or more of the following helped me (sorry I couldn't be more scientific as I didn't have time to figure out precisely which one):

1. Reset the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Physically cleaned the Mac Pro by removing the case and using compressed air on it.
  3. Reformatted one of my external backup drives.

I also tried turning off SecuritySpy (just upgraded it) and turning off VMWare Fusion. I even pointed a fan at it.

Once this problem started, the machine only stayed up for a few hours; I'm going on 18 hours without a problem and with decent load and disk I/O.

Based on my reading of the thread, I tend to think there is/was a thermal issue (my office did get hot yesterday), so resetting the SMC and cleaning out the machine may have helped get the fans going at the right time and keeping the temperature within reasonable limits.

I hope this helps someone.

Similar questions

194 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 2:05 PM in response to darthsabbath

I started having this problem on 10.14.5 yesterday. After reading through all the options and trying various things, I believe that one or more of the following helped me (sorry I couldn't be more scientific as I didn't have time to figure out precisely which one):

1. Reset the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Physically cleaned the Mac Pro by removing the case and using compressed air on it.
  3. Reformatted one of my external backup drives.

I also tried turning off SecuritySpy (just upgraded it) and turning off VMWare Fusion. I even pointed a fan at it.

Once this problem started, the machine only stayed up for a few hours; I'm going on 18 hours without a problem and with decent load and disk I/O.

Based on my reading of the thread, I tend to think there is/was a thermal issue (my office did get hot yesterday), so resetting the SMC and cleaning out the machine may have helped get the fans going at the right time and keeping the temperature within reasonable limits.

I hope this helps someone.

Jun 7, 2019 6:18 AM in response to WMPDefekt

WPMDefekt--

The error correction hardware is used very aggressively at Startup. ANY error, correctible or not cause the associated slots to be declared "empty" and they will not be used by MacOS. These modules are BAD. But on subsequent startups, they will be tested again and may then be used by the system. This does not change the fact that such modules are BAD.

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Co… - Apple Community

May 21, 2019 8:53 PM in response to Ataylor35

I can also confirm these findings -

• 10.14.3: both apple and third-party ssd do not crash
  • 10.14.4 & 10.14.5: both apple and third-party do crash

Updated my Apple engineering case with this information as well.

Regarding the comment of 10.14.6 beta only crashing once - one time is too many, sadly. If it crashes once, chances are it will happen again.

Jun 10, 2019 6:26 AM in response to darthsabbath

Back in late March, my Mac Mini completely died. Luckily i had a time machine back up and restored a new Mac Pro (Late 2013) from that. Pretty much since I got the new computer, it has had panic shutdowns at night or when i leave for 40 mins during the day from work. It does not happen every night but it happens every few days. I'm pretty sure the computer has always been running on 10.14.4 and 10.14.5. After all of the "basic" troubleshooting, Apple says to bring it in but based on what i'm reading, it will be a giant waste of time.

All hardware is brand new from Apple

• Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • Memory: 64 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3
  • FirePro D700 6 GB
  • 1 TB Flash Storage

I can provide panic reports if anyone else thinks it would be helpful. Even though mine does not crash as much as others, I wanted to provide the info that i have all factory hardware from Apple within the last 3 months and mine still has panic crashes also.

Jun 10, 2019 6:58 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have a few different ones from the 6 panic reports i saved over the last 5 weeks.

• Panic(CPU 0, time 122953388614781): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: cross-call timeout
  • Panic(CPU 0, time 195958478922161): NMIPI for spinlock acquisition timeout, spinlock: 
  • Panic(CPU 0, time 58634348287864): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: cross-call timeout
  • panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f88dfefe5): pmLock: waited too long, held by 3@0xffffff80058dd929

Apr 2, 2019 7:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

To check firmware versions, use:

 menu > About this Mac > (system report) ...

The opening page there has the "Boot ROM version"

--------

Panics like yours in CPU Power Management routine is where many Hardware problems show themselves, but is not an actual indication of power problems.

Unresponsive Processor is a complex multi-Processor and interrupt problem, sometimes including the GPU(s) as Processors.

Apr 2, 2019 7:30 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That I don't know for sure. One of the two is an internet facing machine that was on 10.14.3; I used the built in updater to update it to 10.14.4. The other one lives on our developer network which is not attached to the internet. It was on 10.14.0 and I used the combo update to update it to 10.14.4. We suspected it might be a firmware issue, but not entirely sure where to begin troubleshooting that.

Apr 11, 2019 8:41 AM in response to darthsabbath

Same issue here. Kernel panic as soon as I installed 10.14.4. Had to restore a TimeMachine backup.

System has had no modifications and a recent rebuild. About My Mac below,

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 64 GB

Boot ROM Version: 129.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

Illumination Version: 1.4a6

Serial Number (system): F5***694

Hardware UUID: 2155E20C-96D4-5AF8-814D-05B2077009BB

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Apr 20, 2019 1:20 PM in response to darthsabbath

I am having the exact same issue. NMIPI for Unresponsive Processor on my 2013 MacPro. It was completely stable on 10.14.3 - installed 10.14.4 and immediately the machine started suddenly rebooting from kernel panics. I rebuilt fresh Mojave with 10.14.3 and I was back to stable. Upgraded again to 10.14.4 (no 3rd party software) and I immediately went back to constant cpu panics and immediate reboots. I have tested this with both OWC and Transcend 420GB - both drives are stable on .3 but then suffer from the same CPU panic after the .4 OS update. Please help. I can obviously revert back to 10.14.3 - but can then no longer update my Mac??

Apr 20, 2019 7:26 PM in response to macpro_ak

It works fine if you boot up in Safe Mode, but then of course the machine isn't really usable. So now it's a matter of swapping out 300+ System extensions to see which one is the culprit... I wish Apple wouldn't make it so hard to revert back to a previous OS... once you have 10.14.4 installed there is no way how you can get back to 10.14.3 except a cloned copy of the previous system :(

Apr 25, 2019 6:25 AM in response to darthsabbath

Same problems here ... Mac Pro with 129.0.0.0, kernel panics started with 10.14.4

Most common (but not always):

Panic(CPU 19, time 32198753185467): NMIPI for unresponsive processor: TLB flush timeout, TLB state:0x0

Unfortunately I also updated drivers for a Lacie Big12 RAID box at the same time -- creating confusion on what was the source of the problem. Spent a lot of time reinstalling fresh to have the same problems persisting.

Apr 25, 2019 7:56 PM in response to SkippyV

Has anyone found if upgrading to 10.14.5 (18F118d), MacPro6,1, Boot ROM ver. 130.0.0.0.0 has fixed the issues? That's what I am running, but I haven't rebooted since upgrading to 10.14.5 (18F118d)... and right now my Mac Pro is running perfectly. I also did find that if I rebooted, and left the Mac Pro sitting at the login screen, for perhaps 10 min., and then logged in, then all would be fine...

Kernel Panic after upgrading to 10.14.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.