Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files with red warning sign and not being given the option to "Apply to all enclosed"

I have been having some issues on my work mac laptop.

Firstly, I was experiencing problems with WIFI connectivity - and then I wasn't able to save any new downloads/docs as I would receive a warning that "file cannot be saved because it doesn't exist".

After going through the comments on help pages I realised this could be a Pathway problem and so I followed instructions to create and save a new TextEdit doc by going all the way through my files to the very top level folder on my mac - to then navigate downwards through the folders I wanted the doc to finally be saved in.

It was here I realised most of my files had a red warning sign with a white line through the middle. I googled what this issue could be and again was referred to go through Finder - top level folder (name of the MAC) - users - and then could find the files with the red symbol - right click - get info - change the settings at the bottom to allow 'everyone' to be able to 'read and write' - HOWEVER now I have came to a new issue where I do not have the option when choosing the gear symbol to 'Apply this to all enclosed', as the help guides suggest, and I am only left with the option to 'revert changes' if i wish.

So I'm looking for help on how to gain permissions back to these files, and will this finally resolve the issue I am having with saving files and them 'not existing'????

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 2:41 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 2, 2019 7:01 PM in response to StarboardT

everyone - Read/Write is not the answer.

You cannot "Apply to enclosed" on a file as there is nothing enclosed. You would do that on a folder.

Where are the files located? If in your Home folder (/Users/yourusername) then you should follow these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

If you are not using your home folder, then where?

Files with red warning sign and not being given the option to "Apply to all enclosed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.