Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to save updates to a text file.

I am running macOS 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2019) that I just bought. My previous MacBook Pro was recently upgraded to Catalina just before I made the purchase. So most of the files I will be using were crated in Mojave. Don't know if that is germane to this discussion.

I have decided not to do a full restore on the new machine from backups of the old machine, but rather to add folders/applications from my old machine as needed. I am the owner and only user on this laptop.

I have a thumb drive, which contains a text file that I need to update often during this process.

I open that file, make updates and try to save (Cmd-S). 

I get the message:

“The document could not be saved. You don’t have permission.”

When it tries to autosave, I get a similar message: “You don’t have permission to write to the folder that the file is in.”

I select the file in a finder window and choose File > Get Info.

I expand Sharing & Permissions. It says “You can read and write.”, but there is no lock icon.

I select the thumb drive in finder, which I assume qualifies as “the folder that the file is in”, then Sharing & Permissions. It says “You have custom access.”, but again no lock icon.

I am unable to save this document. It is very important that I be able to update this document quite often as I go through the process of loading folders and applications to the new machine.

What should I do?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:53 PM

Hi Claude Crider,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with a file that won't save on your new MacBook Pro. This appears to be a permissions issue.

Is this the only document that you have encountered that has this issue?

Double-check this page: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac.

Have you tried running first aid on the thumb drive? How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a fantastic day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Claude Crider

Hi Claude Crider,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with a file that won't save on your new MacBook Pro. This appears to be a permissions issue.

Is this the only document that you have encountered that has this issue?

Double-check this page: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac.

Have you tried running first aid on the thumb drive? How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a fantastic day!

Unable to save updates to a text file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.