Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File "save as" dialog in standard config is useless - how to see the full filesystem?

I have been annoyed many times that the "save as" dialog creates copies but doesn't let me immediately choose the folder I want to save the document in while creating useless copies of the doc. This applies to many Apple originated apps.

Just to weed out any doubts: I am a happy Apple user since OS 9, have made all the steps since X was introduced, have owned several NeXT computers, and do remember the time, when the file "save as" dialog in macOS was useful.

My work-around until now:

1. drag the icon of the file to the folder in the Finder
  2. CMD-click in the dialog and then use "other" to navigate to the remote server, external disk or other folder I usually put files into.

But these workarounds are inefficient in comparison to what macOS offered was before, especially because I have to remove the previous files all the times and have found myself with working on a copy that had already been edited without noticing.

Is there any kind soul in this forum that has found out a suitable way (cheat, other software, hacks) to reinstate the "old-school" file dialog?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:57 AM

I may be misunderstanding, but if you are asking about a save dialog that looks similar to the first screenshot below, click the down arrow (pointed to by the red arrow) to change it to the second screenshot below:

Similar questions

1 reply

File "save as" dialog in standard config is useless - how to see the full filesystem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.