Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Remote not working except for volume buttons. Won't re-pair.

My AppleTV remote stopped working except for the volume buttons, so I know it's charged. I'm trying to re-pair it to the TV but it wont work? it keeps saying to get closer even when the remote is touching the tv

Apple TV 4, tvOS 12

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 8:33 AM

it keeps saying to get closer even when the remote is touching the tv

I assume you mean the Apple TV box, not the TV?

If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support

3. Point your remote three inches away from your Apple TV. Then press and hold your remote's Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds. If asked, place your remote on top of Apple TV to complete pairing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 8:33 AM in response to ctirman

it keeps saying to get closer even when the remote is touching the tv

I assume you mean the Apple TV box, not the TV?

If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support

3. Point your remote three inches away from your Apple TV. Then press and hold your remote's Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds. If asked, place your remote on top of Apple TV to complete pairing.

Apr 5, 2019 9:52 AM in response to ctirman

I have exactly the same issue. The Apple TV does not respond to my fully charged remote control. Volume can be changed, but this is IR signal which changes volume directly at the TV, not the Apple TV. To get the remote control working again, I have to restart the Apple TV and re-pair the remote control. I have never seen this problem before. It started after the last update.

Edit: The remote control app on my iPhone works all the time. Without restarting the Apple TV, re-pairing fails as ctirman describes.

AppleTV Remote not working except for volume buttons. Won't re-pair.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.