Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blob_storage | GPUcache

Hi,

I have two folders on my HD that I want to delete.

Can I delete the folders: blop_storage and GPUcache ?

Thanks for your advice ...

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:19 AM

20 replies

May 10, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Jay Gamel

The following will give us a comprehensive look into your system (no personal info included) so we can see if there are any 3rd party software installed that shouldn't be.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

May 10, 2019 7:21 AM in response to Riverside_Guy

So this issues does not seem to be settled to anyone's satisfaction. Why are these folders at the root level? What do they do? When did I permit them? Why do I have to keep them? why aren't they tucked away in some invisible app folder? There's enough weird stuff being thrown at us every day -- a bunch of it clearly not friendly -- for apple to permit this.

And I don't want a degree in computer science to find out why this is happening.

Thanks for any response.

May 8, 2019 4:16 PM in response to BDAqua

What I can add is in my testing, each folder is instantly re-created at user log-in (after being deleted). This stuff only started happening in the past week or two. No autodesk software of any kind has ever been run on my system. No updates to ANY M$ software has been made in months and months. I HAVE recently installed DropBox, but that was AFTER I started noticing these 2 folders appear in my HD root. Yes, I do have some Adobe software (and I am about to delete Reader because it is constantly calling out to maybe half a dozen different servers), but again, none has had any updates in a long while.

Can't consider this any kind of finished issue...

Whoops, just noticed this is in a Mohave forum, forgive but I can not install Mohave as I have a GTX 980 video card. So it looks like it isn't specific to any specific OS as I'm running Sierra right now.

May 10, 2019 7:43 AM in response to Jay Gamel

Jay, over on another forum I have a long thread going about this. First, both seem attributable to adobe, and apparently are an issue on the M$ side. Was told there ay be solutions there, but not for Mac users. The oddity is that I simply do NOT have much of any adobe software anymore (an old version of Photoshop and Reader). There has been no updates to Photoshop in years and the last update I remember to Reader was quite a while ago. As the appearance of these folders is very recent, there has to be some adobe process running causing them, not necessarily tied to their software.

Now I kinda doubt either or them is really going to cause any kind of damage, BUT it really is the principle of the thing. It sure appears adobe is working surreptitiously behind our backs. Sure one COULD ask over on their forums, but I have had other issues AND posted there AND gotten zip for any response... so clearly Mac-hostile. Must be time to purge anything and everything from adobe... although I'd sure like to still has access to Photoshop, I've spent a LOT of money keeping it updated for so many years...

May 10, 2019 3:24 PM in response to Riverside_Guy

Eeeek, there were exactly 4 posts after my last but I got 40 e-mails from apple altering me to the 4 new posts!!

Holy smokes, I briefly hit your site BD... refugees from xlr8yourmac! I was a big fan of Mike and a heavy user.. but priorities kinda shifted and I kinda drifted away. Must say, I have sorta missed that connection.

Don't think you'll learn uch new Jay, that other thread is over on the TIDBits forum (https://talk.tidbits.com/t/blob-storage-and-gpucache/8698).

I may very well find some time to check out Etrecheck. Theoretically old cruft from years ago should not be causing issues, but I took and unfettered look at my user root... holy smokes!

blob_storage | GPUcache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.