Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I copy my iTunes movies to external hd like I used to?

What has changed? I used to be able to "drag and drop" my purchased iTunes movies to desktop or external hd.

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 2:12 PM

Hi JoBuns24,

Thank you for providing that additional information. The steps you mention not working should still be an acceptable way to copy your content. First, if you haven't already, quit iTunes, restart your Mac and test for the behavior again.

If the issue persists, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and test: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If the issue persists, use these steps to test for the behavior in another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2019 2:12 PM in response to JoBuns24

Hi JoBuns24,

Thank you for providing that additional information. The steps you mention not working should still be an acceptable way to copy your content. First, if you haven't already, quit iTunes, restart your Mac and test for the behavior again.

If the issue persists, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and test: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If the issue persists, use these steps to test for the behavior in another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Apr 7, 2019 12:32 PM in response to JoBuns24

Hi JoBuns24,

I see that you've not received a reply to your post. Here is some information you can provide that may help others to respond.

What happens when you try to drag and drop the purchased movies to your desktop or external drive?

If you're seeing an error message, what does it say?

Are the purchases you're trying to move downloaded to your computer?

Best Regards.

Apr 7, 2019 1:35 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. When I drag, there is usually a green plus sign which does not show up. No error message, it just doesn't copy. And yes, the purchases are downloaded to my computer. I have found a work-around by finding the place where it's stored on my computer and then dragging and dropping. It's a pain though since it takes many clicks to drill down. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Just a time waster.

Cheers!

Why can't I copy my iTunes movies to external hd like I used to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.