Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change homepage of Safari - locked to apple.com

I cannot use Safari for now as its homepage is locked to apple.com

Currently on High Sierra.

If I click "set to current page" nothing happens. If I enter the address and hit enter, address changes back to apple.

I need the homepage to go to a search engine.

I have installed malwarebytes - no malware found.

I'd like to use Safari as Chrome gets increasingly buggy and doesn't work on several websites any more where Safari does work.

I have had this problem now since I bought my MacBook Pro in 2012 - that bug never went away through upgrading.

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 1:45 PM

You can also try selecting Homepage in Safe Mode.

Startup in Safe Mode.

Launch Safari.

Set Homepage.

Quit Safari. Click Restart at the bottom.

Start up in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 5, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Ocean 17

If Safari's home page is stuck

In some cases, after being changed by adware or malware, Safari's home page can become stuck. You will be able to edit the Homepage field in Safari's preferences, but the change will not stick. This appears to be a bug, and there is an odd workaround. Try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!
  4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).
  5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.
  6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Ref: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-weknow-malware-and-others/

Apr 5, 2019 1:37 PM in response to Ocean 17

Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with:

Select "Favorites" instead of Homepage.

Does it work?

If you have Extensions installed, disable them and test.

Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

System Preferences > General

Is there any Profile listed?

If this doesn't help,  download EtreCheck, https://etrecheck.com/maspro  and post the report here.

Click  “Click to download” button,

Open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy report” .

Paste the report when you reply.

Note

This is a diagnostic test.

If 5000 words limit applies:  Split the report into two parts and post as two separate posts. 

Cannot change homepage of Safari - locked to apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.