Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mojave - Safari forces start page to https://www.apple.com

I just upgraded my system to MacOS Mojave.

It seems to work OK in everything ... but Safari.

The first time I brought Safari up it went to Apple.Com.

That was predictable I guess, so I went to my own web

page in Safari Preferences and clicked the

set to current page

button, and the box fills in with the current page I was on.

Clicked home and it went to my page.

However, if I start Safari again it opens with Apple.Com ... but

it has not changed the text in the homepage box ... but it still

goes to Apple.Com.

This is ridiculous ... does anyone know what is going on?

The last searches I come up with for something like this are

5 years ago.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 2:18 AM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2019 5:31 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you. Yes, I checked everything I know how to check. I have been using Safari for over a decade with never a problems.

The first thing I checked was Safari -> Preferences -> General and checked:

• Safari opens with --- a new window
  • New windows open with --- Homepage
  • New tabs open with --- Homepage
  • Homepage --- set to an HTML file under my home directory. ( not sure if that is a problem now ? )

I even read up here on solutions to similar problems and under the ~/Library and ~/Application folders looking for plist files ... but I don't even have those specific files mentioned to delete or temporarily move out of the way. I think it was Safari.plist.

The really odd thing is that even when the Homepage is set right under the General tab - it still opens with Apple.Com, until I reset it again manually to the same value it is already set for? Then if I quit Safari and start it back up, it goes right back to starting with Apple.Com even though the desired value is set under the General configuration. Weird! That seems to indicate that something is over-riding the Preferences in Safari, just after a new install ... but what and where?

This a new upgrade install of Mojave ... and upgrade install, how after a first boot you get Apple introduction videos and information about the new OK ... but all I see is Apple and the new 3 camera iPhone.

This is something the installation process did in my home directory because - I upgraded to another disk clone of the my old OS, but now it does the same thing if I boot the system from my old not-upgraded boot disk.

Mac Mojave - Safari forces start page to https://www.apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.