Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Malware after it picks up a threat

I've had a popup from Mac Cleanup Pro for a while which I've been deleting. I use Everweb for my website. I had trouble uploading a flyer yesterday. When I uploaded my website, it usually goes to Firefox. All my favourites tabs had disappeared. I did a re-start and got a message from Mac cleanup to say it had found issues and threats. So I ran a Malware check and it's found 7 threats. One which I'm concerned about is OSX.Genieo which seems to be the thread to ...Library/LaunchAgents/com.company.InstallerAgent.plist If I clean this up will it compromise my start-up and will I lose information? The other threats are PUP.Mac Cleanup Pro and lists 6 items relating to that. After reading the posts here, I realise that this Mac Cleanup Pro is a hoax but I'm worried that it might have installed something? I also think that recently I had a message saying my Adobe needed updating so I clicked on it. I realise now that might have been another hoax. I'm not sure how to use Malware when it's found a threat. How do I quarantine them and delete them and clean up the computer?

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 1:06 PM

"Malware"? That the bad stuff itself. Do you mean? -->

Malwarebytes - There are different versions available depending upon what features you want. For a single removal without ongoing monitoring you can probably use the free version.https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/

I am sure there are instructions on the vendor's web site.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2019 1:06 PM in response to Paulsdance

"Malware"? That the bad stuff itself. Do you mean? -->

Malwarebytes - There are different versions available depending upon what features you want. For a single removal without ongoing monitoring you can probably use the free version.https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/

I am sure there are instructions on the vendor's web site.

Apr 5, 2019 1:11 PM in response to Paulsdance

The problem with the so-called Mac "cleaning" applications (as well as anti-virus apps) is more often than not, they identify a valid part of the operating system, application, or documents as false threats, and attempt to remove them. There are years of posts here where problems were traced back to these classes of applications, and collectively, those of us that spend our time helping others recommend uninstalling these applications.

What we do recommend is the free Malwarebytes for Mac, which offers a 14-day realtime malware detection feature, and then afterward, it can be run interactively, or optionally subscribe for continued realtime functionality. It does one thing, hunts down real malware threats, and offers to remove them. Many of us not only recommend it, but use it ourselves — without any form of reward from the vendor.

How to use Malware after it picks up a threat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.