Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware/virus?

Hey there! I think my computer might be infected. I keep getting pop-ups on Safari, and I've never had that problem before. A few weeks ago I tried to download a program (pirate/not verified... yeah I now it's stupid) and install it. During the installation Terminal opened up on my computer and it wrote things on terminal by it self. I obviously got a bad feeling by that so I shut it down and removed the program with an app called AppCleaner.

I have Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3 installed. It's a MacBook Pro 13" from mid 2014.

As I got a bit panicked today I googled "malware mac" and ended up on "Insider" which linked to a malware software called CleanMyMacX which I downloaded and installed. I haven't done anything else with it but it popped up and said:

"2 threats found:

Genieo (Install Mac)

OSX.Pirrit"

I have no idea if this software is reliable and if this is true so... Please help me? How do I find out if and what kind of malware/virus I've got on my computer and then - how do I get rid of it?

Thankful for any support!

Sara

Edit: I have AdBlocker installed and when I started getting these pop-ups I was stupid and installed more safari plug-ins.. 1Blocker, DuckduckGo and Hush. Also when I had downloaded that fishy software I had actually downloaded two different versions and the other one I still have on my computer, never actually finished the installation though as it just stopped halfway through.

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 12:14 PM

The free Malwarebytes may take care of it...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 12:14 PM in response to pastakvinnan

The free Malwarebytes may take care of it...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

Malware/virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.