Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition Grayed out in Mojave

I know this has been addressed before but...

Trying to Partition a newly purchased Samsung T5 SSD as boot and external drive.

Partition is grayed out in Disc Utility.

Anyone have a solution as to how I can partition this new SSD.?

Thanks.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Plug your T5 in. Open Disk Utility. Go to the upper left of the Disk Utility window. Click on "View". Select "Show All Devices". Go to your "Samsung Portable SSD T5 Media" in the sidebar. Click on it. Select "Erase" in the top toolbar. Now select your Format: select APFS or Mac Extended (Journaled). Click on Scheme: choose GUID Partition Map. Click on "Erase" at the bottom right. Wait until Disk Utility finishes up. If you wish to make more partitions on your T5 click on "Partition".

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2019 5:43 PM in response to arthurk1

Plug your T5 in. Open Disk Utility. Go to the upper left of the Disk Utility window. Click on "View". Select "Show All Devices". Go to your "Samsung Portable SSD T5 Media" in the sidebar. Click on it. Select "Erase" in the top toolbar. Now select your Format: select APFS or Mac Extended (Journaled). Click on Scheme: choose GUID Partition Map. Click on "Erase" at the bottom right. Wait until Disk Utility finishes up. If you wish to make more partitions on your T5 click on "Partition".

Apr 6, 2019 7:15 AM in response to arthurk1

Hi again,

This is another question, quite naive I admit.

Even though , with your help, I succeeded in re-formatting the T5 SSD into extended journal and GUID......

Here is the next question-

Do I actually have to physically create a partition for mac OS only and another separate partition for the Applications/files/photos/music, etc?

Thanks again,

Art

Partition Grayed out in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.