Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

warning: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x1234567): orphan directory record

Long story: my bank stopped using IBM Trusteer Rapport claiming to have newer and better security. Rapport was visible in System Preferences. I looked for Rapport using the Apple Search Tool and deleted the files. Then ran Disk Utility and found a long series of warnings like I have posted in the Subject line. I have disguised the string of numbers just in case. I have run Disk Utility from Recovery and the warnings are still there. I have installed a new copy of Mojave and Disk Utility still shows the warnings. What can I do? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 1:12 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 29, 2019 11:15 AM in response to Ewan Lamont

You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running the free version of Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for Trusteer you'd do two searches:

1 - Name contains trusteer

2 - Name contains rapport

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash Bin for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

May 30, 2019 12:52 AM in response to jacobos80

I think many Apple engineers read and respond to the Community pages as a hobby interest, out of goodwill. It tends to be obvious who they are as they know what they are talking about (so not me). However, their advice can go "over the heads" of the uninformed enquirer who might never have heard of many of the terms used. So the most usable advice can come from other amateur members who have struggled with the same problem. Under "Support" I think you will find routes to contact Apple engineers who can respond either "under Warranty" or on a paid basis.

Jun 8, 2019 2:52 AM in response to Ewan Lamont

Have just had the same warnings on my wife's macbook air mid-2013 (128GB), after recent mojave upgrade.

She reported that the upgrade did not run completely smoothly due to lack of enough free disk space.

First we ran first aid under disktool. twice. Second time it said that first aid under disktool from ctrl+R should be next step. This did not remove the warnings though.

Then we removed a user account which was not necessary any more. This released 16GB.

After this, first aid under Disktool ran with no warnings or errors reported.

Helpful for others?

Best

Michael

warning: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x1234567): orphan directory record

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.