Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime HD Camera not working

My Camera isn't working on Sykpe, Facetime or Photobooth.

Facetime message "FaceTime has not received any video from the connected camera. Restarting your computer may fix this issue.".

In all programmes the green light pops on but only displays black. The green light then turns itself off after a few seconds. I've tried the usual things suggested: quit programmes, restarted computer as well as turning computer off. No luck.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 1:26 PM

Hello Paolo_M,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that the built-in camera is not working in multiple apps on your Mac. It's important that you're able to connect to and use your camera when you need it. I would be happy to help point you towards a resolution.

Let's start by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy, select the Privacy tab, then select Camera. Ensure that camera access is enabled for the apps you would like to use it with. If there's no change, testing if your camera works in another user account could help us isolate if this may be caused by user-specific settings. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the camera does not work in a different user account, use the System Information app on your Mac to see if FaceTime HD (Built-in) appears under the USB header:

About System Information on your Mac - Apple Support

If your built-in camera doesn't appear, try to reset the SMC on your Mac, and check again:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

You may also want to consider using Apple Diagnostics to see if it detects any hardware issues with your Mac:

Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what happens after trying these steps.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2019 1:26 PM in response to Paolo_M

Hello Paolo_M,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that the built-in camera is not working in multiple apps on your Mac. It's important that you're able to connect to and use your camera when you need it. I would be happy to help point you towards a resolution.

Let's start by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy, select the Privacy tab, then select Camera. Ensure that camera access is enabled for the apps you would like to use it with. If there's no change, testing if your camera works in another user account could help us isolate if this may be caused by user-specific settings. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the camera does not work in a different user account, use the System Information app on your Mac to see if FaceTime HD (Built-in) appears under the USB header:

About System Information on your Mac - Apple Support

If your built-in camera doesn't appear, try to reset the SMC on your Mac, and check again:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

You may also want to consider using Apple Diagnostics to see if it detects any hardware issues with your Mac:

Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what happens after trying these steps.

Cheers!

Facetime HD Camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.