Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I deregister a phone number from an iPhone that got stolen

My iPhone XS was stolen in Costa Rica last week :'( I am trying to deregister the old number off my apple ID but i can't seen to figure out how.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Can I do this online?

TIA

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 8:24 AM

I'm very sorry about your iPhone XS. Have you taken such steps to lock and erase this device using the Find my iPhone feature?

Also you should go ahead and Deregister iMessage from it here. Other than these options and a possible SIM card, there should be no other connection needed to break between the iPhone and your iCloud involving your phone number. If you don't get it back and decide to get another iPhone, you should be able to more your cellular service (number included) to the new device as well as your Apple ID.

Here is some more information regarding managing your devices

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2019 8:24 AM in response to ThatLizzy

I'm very sorry about your iPhone XS. Have you taken such steps to lock and erase this device using the Find my iPhone feature?

Also you should go ahead and Deregister iMessage from it here. Other than these options and a possible SIM card, there should be no other connection needed to break between the iPhone and your iCloud involving your phone number. If you don't get it back and decide to get another iPhone, you should be able to more your cellular service (number included) to the new device as well as your Apple ID.

Here is some more information regarding managing your devices

Apr 9, 2019 8:54 AM in response to ThatLizzy

Is Two-factor Authentication turned on for your iCloud account? Perhaps you may need to add your new number into your secured account and delete the old one.

"If your iPhone is your only trusted device and it is missing or damaged, you will be unable to receive verification codes required to access your account.

You can update your trusted phone numbers when you follow these steps:

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID.
  3. Go to the Security section and click Edit.

If you want to add a phone number, click Add a Trusted Phone Number and enter the phone number. Choose to verify the number with a text message or automated phone call, and click Continue. To remove a trusted phone number, click  next to the phone number you want to remove."

Apr 9, 2019 8:41 AM in response to TMRJIJ

Thank you!

I called my phone company as soon as I could to block the line. I wasn't able to find the iPhone with Find my iPhone because I didn't had great internet service down there :( . Once I got back home I got a new iPhone and a new number, but the old number still showing on my apple ID. My problem is that when I go to deregister is asking me to enter the number I want to deregister and the system will send me a code to enter. but I no longer have the iPhone and the line with the number I want to deregister already was deleted. I just want to disconnect this number from my apple ID to play it safe.

How can I deregister a phone number from an iPhone that got stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.