You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - How can I select a frame to be the thumbnail?

I want to select a specific frame for the thumbnail when saving the video. No matter how I try and save it, it randomly selects a frame from the middle of my video.

I've tried to place the bar on the frame I want, before going to 'Share'. This frame appears in the selection box with all of the other details, name, file size etc. But when saved, it has a frame from the middle of the video.

Reading through the answers for others struggling with this, I see previous versions of iMovie had an option to choose Poster Frame. I can't find this option on my version (10.1.11). Please can you help me? I want to use this video on a FaceBook ad. The frame iMovie has chosen is not the one best suited for the ad.

Thank you in advance for your assistance 😊

Jennie - iMovie Novice!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 12:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 8:29 AM

You are welcome. Yes, it would be nice to have a feature whereby one could select the poster frame.

Someone on this forum did devise a method to change the poster thumbnail in the Theater display. The only thing is that I am not sure that the reset thumbnail will stay when the movie is dragged from the Theater library onto the desktop. I did a test myself but the thumbnail did not hold. However, if you want to try it you can take a look at this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484658

-- Rich

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 10, 2019 8:29 AM in response to justjennie

You are welcome. Yes, it would be nice to have a feature whereby one could select the poster frame.

Someone on this forum did devise a method to change the poster thumbnail in the Theater display. The only thing is that I am not sure that the reset thumbnail will stay when the movie is dragged from the Theater library onto the desktop. I did a test myself but the thumbnail did not hold. However, if you want to try it you can take a look at this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484658

-- Rich

Apr 13, 2019 3:45 AM in response to justjennie

I believe that something can be done.Not within iMovie but after the share /export process.

After you have shared/exported your movie open it in QuickTime.

Place the playhead on the frame that you want to choose (left and right arrows if needed for precision) .

Now go up to Edit>copy.

Now quit QTP.

Control click on the video file and select Get Info.

Click on the movie image shown arrowed red and then go up to Edit >Paste .

Your poster frame should now change to what you selected.

You can in fact copy a poster frame from a video and paste it into a different video if you want.

I have not had occasion to change poster frames but hope this is what you required.

I am not aware if poster frames are used for other purposes so do not know if this process affects those processes.

This is on El Capitan 10.11.6 .

Rich ,would be interested if you could confirm on your system.

Apr 13, 2019 7:35 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Changing the icon for the thumbnails in the Finder by pasting a new icon into the Info panel is still working in Mojave as well. It is great when browsing video clips in the Finder.

But I am not sure, if this will remain, if the video is shared in any way and uploaded.

In older versions of QuickTime we could set a poster frame. I can no longer find this option.

I am importing my finished videos to iPhoto. There I can set a poster frame in the Editor. But this poster frame will not be used as a thumbnail, when I export the video from Photos.

Apr 13, 2019 8:30 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Hello

Thank you for this suggestion. I had earlier tried to take my video into QuickTime and then exported it out. But I still had the same problem.

I later wondered whether having a still frame as my selected frame would work any better than having one with the Ken Burns affect on it (as it was previously). So, I rejigged the video so my chosen image was still, then ensured that this image was showing by moving the orange bar to the image I wanted before saving the video as a file.

When it was saved to the desktop, it had still chosen a random image from the middle of the video as a thumbnail.

But I also noticed that the Preview in the Info panel was the image I selected.

Now when I went to Facebook to place an ad, this image of the sad woman was an option for the advert - whereas before the advert choices of an image were the image of the house and not the sad woman.

I am not sure whether all of this is co-incidence, or whether ensuring the chosen image was there when I saved it. BUT I was finally able to place a FB ad using the image I wanted to use.

As more of us experiment with how to get around this , I sure we can find a foolproof way of getting it to do what we need, and just maybe, Apple will re-install an option to choose the Poster Frame that I believe it once had.

Kindest regards

Jennie

Apr 9, 2019 2:03 PM in response to justjennie

Unfortunately there is no option in iMovie 10 to change the poster frame. As you have found, many others have posed your question. iMovie randomly selects a frame in the middle of the movie to use as the poster frame. The only workaround that I have seen that works with any consistency for your purpose is to add a black background of suitable duration to the end of the movie to change the midpoint and thus change the poster frame. You can also add or delete a photo or clip, or rearrange them, or add or subtract transitions to change the midpoint.

-- Rich

Apr 13, 2019 9:04 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

thesurreyfriends,

Your Quicktime/paste-in-Get Info method worked to change the poster frame of the movie on my desktop. As Lėonie said, I am not sure that the poster frame will hold when shared to other apps. When the movie with the new poster frame is dragged into a movie project and saved to the Projects library, the frame didn't carry over. Likewise when shared to Theater.

I see that in a later post that the original poster did some experimenting and managed to get it to work in a FaceBook upload, with a little fiddling. Unknown whether it will work with exports to other websites.

In any event, good work. :)

-- Rich

iMovie - How can I select a frame to be the thumbnail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.