Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which graphics card do I need?

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 . Model a1286. I want to upgrade to Mojave’s . Graphics card needs to be upgrade. Which one would be best to get?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 11, 2019 7:44 PM

2 replies

Apr 11, 2019 10:59 PM in response to bart4dan

I agree with leroydouglas, you'd need a 2012 or later MBP

The "best" one is a really hard question to answer though.

The easiest guide is the more recent you can go the more future proofing you'll get. But to get a newer model, say within the last 5 years, you'll still spend plenty.

You said you need better graphics.

So I'd say to start with this: What do you need in this new(er) computer spec wise?

• Do you need an internal optical drive? Or space to add a second internal HD?
  • Do you need the ability to upgrade the RAM or internal HD?

If you answered "no" to all three of those questions, your limit is only your bank account. You can choose an older model to save money or a newer model to get better specs.

If you answered "yes" to even one of those questions, you'll need to stay with a 2012-2013 as your max laptop model.

• The 2012 models were the last ones to have both an upgradeable internal HD *and* RAM.
  • All 2012 Retina and newer laptops have their RAM on board so you can't upgrade those. Some models you can upgrade the internal drive, the rest you can't.

So that's where I'd start. Once you decide on what you need you can start seeing where the models you'd like to get land on price and then worked back to lower price points if needed.

I've actually just gone thru this, myself, as I bought a refurbished Mid 2012 MBP to replace my current Mid 2009 MBP so that process is still fresh in my mind. Best of luck!

Which graphics card do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.