📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie generates big unknown files

iMovie generates big unknown files that won't away, taking up all my storage spaces

I don't use the forum here a lot but this time I really need help. I cannot solve the situation by myself and I want to see if anyone here can give me an answer.

It begins this morning. I was using iMovie to make some videos (30~mb of original medias and 13~ minutes of them loaded in the timeline). I did something usual with it. I changed the clips' speed, reduced noise, went through all the clips in iMovie to familiarise myself with the contents (I didn't shoot the videos), etc.

However, soon the "disk storage full" notification interrupted me. It often happens to my MacBook as some apps are generating too much additional files. I cleared my storage earlier today and there should be 4gb left in my Mac, but after using iMovie, literally none is left. After restarting the computer, there are now 800~900mb left. I was desperate. I have JUST cleared the space this morning by throwing everything on dropbox. 

I checked everywhere but nothing was found. I first checked the iMovie library (the one in the Movie folder) but it only took up around 30mb. Next, I checked all main folders under my own account, but again, nothing suspicious. It was usually the library's fault, but it only took up around 2gb and other folders, such as Google drive and desktop, took up even less. 

Assuming the unknown files are generated in one specific place, my own user folder should be off the table, same to the one of another user since her account isn't opened during the incident. After further investigations, the following are NOT the possible causes of the sudden file growth:

• iMovie related apps (the app itself, the library app and the project app)
  • library folder A (storage/users/*my user name*/library)
  • library folder B (storage/library) (takes up only 3gb and definitely not all suddenly generated)
  • main folders under my account (storage/users/*my user name*/*everything here*)
  • main folders under other account (my sister's and the guest one)
  • the shared folder between users
  • application folder (storage/application)

Possible causes includes:

• the system folder (storage/system) (personally thinks it seems important, so I didn't do anything with it)
  • the hidden folders in storage (storage/*hidden folders*)

Extra info:

• this issue has happened before in iMovie app, but less terrible. It did clog up my storage and I don't remember seeing the files go away.
  • it also happens when I played certain games like Cities Skylines and Minecraft, but the files disappeared and freed my storage space soon after I turned the app off.
  • It can possibly be downloaded files instead of generated files that caused the issue since I edited the video with Wi-Fi on. Sadly, it also means that it could be virus, but i don't think there'd be virus that are activated by iMovie, as a reputable app under Apple.
  • I think that the issue could be caused by iMovie or some hidden applications activated by the iMovie app.
  • I've looked up the internet but not a single source of information can answer me how the files could be generated when using apps, which is strange because it happens to me a LOT.

I understand that it is quite a long post and thank you for going through all the words to help me. I wish someone could give me an answer as soon as possible so that I can go the folder and delete the useless additional files. It'd be very useful since I'm sure that those hidden file is definitely bigger than 4gb. If you encounters the same issue but don't have a solution for this, you can also leave a comment about your experience here and see if we can solve it with the extra info. 

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 12, 2019 11:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 9:45 AM

Hi,

Sometimes shared out movies from iMovie have a larger file size than the original video clip that you imported. Your selected share-out options can affect the file size, as well as the editing in the movie, and the original format of the import. If you started with a video clip in a highly compressed format, iMovie unpacks that to make it possible to edit. Then, upon export, the Mp4 or .mov file that you get can be less compressed and thus a larger file size. So, your iMovie app is not generating unknown files, it is just exporting a larger file size. There may be some render files (temporary files that assist iMovie with editing) that are left over from the project, and those can take up space. Render files can be deleted in iMovie 10 by opening iMovie and in the menu bar clicking on IMovie/preferences. You will see a box to delete the render files, which can safely be done. That would free up a little more space.

All that aside, you are operating with way too little free space on your drive. 800-900mb is getting dangerously close to a crash that could cause you to lose some data. It is particularly risky where you have another user on the computer, your sister, who might save a large file. Even the 4GB that you started with is extremely marginal for working with videos. Minimum should be 10GB and most on this forum recommend 20-25 GB. Delete the render files as I mentioned, and see if you can remove other data to an external drive, that is best formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You might want also to move your library to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) so that you don't over burden the drive on your Mac. Then save your projects to the library on the external drive. Be aware that reformatting an external drive will erase all data on it in the process of reformatting. Save elsewhere any data that you want to keep.

Here's a link that will explain how to work with multiple libraries and to transfer libraries:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2019 9:45 AM in response to SkyHui913

Hi,

Sometimes shared out movies from iMovie have a larger file size than the original video clip that you imported. Your selected share-out options can affect the file size, as well as the editing in the movie, and the original format of the import. If you started with a video clip in a highly compressed format, iMovie unpacks that to make it possible to edit. Then, upon export, the Mp4 or .mov file that you get can be less compressed and thus a larger file size. So, your iMovie app is not generating unknown files, it is just exporting a larger file size. There may be some render files (temporary files that assist iMovie with editing) that are left over from the project, and those can take up space. Render files can be deleted in iMovie 10 by opening iMovie and in the menu bar clicking on IMovie/preferences. You will see a box to delete the render files, which can safely be done. That would free up a little more space.

All that aside, you are operating with way too little free space on your drive. 800-900mb is getting dangerously close to a crash that could cause you to lose some data. It is particularly risky where you have another user on the computer, your sister, who might save a large file. Even the 4GB that you started with is extremely marginal for working with videos. Minimum should be 10GB and most on this forum recommend 20-25 GB. Delete the render files as I mentioned, and see if you can remove other data to an external drive, that is best formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You might want also to move your library to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) so that you don't over burden the drive on your Mac. Then save your projects to the library on the external drive. Be aware that reformatting an external drive will erase all data on it in the process of reformatting. Save elsewhere any data that you want to keep.

Here's a link that will explain how to work with multiple libraries and to transfer libraries:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

-- Rich

iMovie generates big unknown files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.