Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching phones between family members

My phone iPhone 7 plus is now unlocked (paid for). My wife's pone iPhone 8 plus us locked (not paid for). My wife is traveling internationally and is taking the unlocked phone, the iPhone 7 plus. What is the best way to switch phones? Thank you.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2019 3:51 PM

Unless your wife is planning on using a local sim card from whatever country she is travelling to, this should not be necessary, as her carrier can provide a roaming package for her trip.

If she wants to use a local sim card, then, and assuming you use the same carrier at home as her:

1. Back up the phones to iCloud or iTunes: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Wipe the iPhones clean: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. Take the sim card out of each iPhone, and swap them: Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  4. Set up each iPhone from the other's backup made previously: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2019 3:51 PM in response to Surfchetan

Unless your wife is planning on using a local sim card from whatever country she is travelling to, this should not be necessary, as her carrier can provide a roaming package for her trip.

If she wants to use a local sim card, then, and assuming you use the same carrier at home as her:

1. Back up the phones to iCloud or iTunes: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Wipe the iPhones clean: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. Take the sim card out of each iPhone, and swap them: Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  4. Set up each iPhone from the other's backup made previously: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Switching phones between family members

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.