Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video not showing up in DCIM folder, all others there. Need to transfer to PC. How if iCloud is not an option?

Goal is to transfer long video from iPhone to computer.

Important medical video to help sick patients.

Video is on phone and plays perfectly well.

1. Transferring via USB cable -- all the the files and videos show up in DCIM subfolders EXCEPT this one. 

2. New Windows 10 computer interfaces well with Apple language so not having iTunes is not the issue. 

3. Where is the file located on the phone? Is it in a hidden folder? Why are all the other files showing up in DCIM but not this one?

4. Is there another way to transfer the file directly off the phone?

5. Uploading to iCloud taking forever. 

6. iCloud intermittently down, multiple sites have documented in outage maps

7. It's been four days now. 

8. Received incorrect error message that iCloud storage is full. It is not and there is plenty of capacity (20G) to hold all new items that have not been uploaded. 

9. iCloud is throttled back or there are server issues. 

10. Need to remove iCloud as an option for transferring and focus on different solution.

So, how ELSE can I transfer the video off the phone?

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 12:44 PM

Hi, winemuse,

Thank you for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. I understand from your post that you are trying to import a video from an iPhone to a Windows 10 computer without using iCloud, but do not see the video in the DCIM folder. I'm happy to help!

When importing photos from an iPhone to a Windows 10 PC, you do not access the files directly on the iPhone. Instead, you use the Windows Photos app to import, with the instructions below from the Microsoft support article Import photos and videos from phone to PC:

"To transfer photos and videos from your phone to PC, connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable. Make sure the phone is on and unlocked, and that you're using a working cable, then:

• On your PC, select the Start  button and then select Photos to open the Photos app. 
    • Select Import > From a USB device, then follow the instructions. You can pick the items you want to import and select where to save them."

More information on importing your photos and videos can be found under the "Import to your PC" section of Apple Support article Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Have a lovely day.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 12:44 PM in response to winemuse

Hi, winemuse,

Thank you for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. I understand from your post that you are trying to import a video from an iPhone to a Windows 10 computer without using iCloud, but do not see the video in the DCIM folder. I'm happy to help!

When importing photos from an iPhone to a Windows 10 PC, you do not access the files directly on the iPhone. Instead, you use the Windows Photos app to import, with the instructions below from the Microsoft support article Import photos and videos from phone to PC:

"To transfer photos and videos from your phone to PC, connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable. Make sure the phone is on and unlocked, and that you're using a working cable, then:

• On your PC, select the Start  button and then select Photos to open the Photos app. 
    • Select Import > From a USB device, then follow the instructions. You can pick the items you want to import and select where to save them."

More information on importing your photos and videos can be found under the "Import to your PC" section of Apple Support article Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Have a lovely day.

Apr 17, 2019 12:53 PM in response to Joseph_S.

I've often used the Windows 10 Photos app to import iPhone photos and videos, but this video (a long one) was not importing, which is why I went into the DCIM folder and sub-folders to see if I could copy it via that method since Photos app was not working for this video.

Is there a hidden size restriction that Apple uses? This is a large video -- about 40 minutes -- so perhaps that is the reason it is not showing up anywhere.

And iCloud is so slow, as usual.

Thank you for your nice reply.

Video not showing up in DCIM folder, all others there. Need to transfer to PC. How if iCloud is not an option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.