You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from Time Machine stuck

I rebooted command R and wiped my system clean and restored from my time machine back up per Apple Support. It’s now eight hours later and the amount restored has not increased in seven hours. It started out saying I had nine hours and now it says I have 40 hours to wait. Clearly something is amiss. Do I stop it and cancel the time machine restore and white my system clean again? And then restore again from a different date in time machine? Thanks

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 7:15 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 29, 2019 12:17 PM in response to John Galt

I have already exhausted all those options. My hard drive has been erased. MacOS has been reinstalled and it’s as if it were a new machine. The Time Machine restore is inaccessible. That’s how I ended up copying over the user- because there were no more options except to just start from nothing and sync Google Drive and Dropbox as if this were a brand new system. That’s the NEXT thing I will do, I guess. Erase AGAIN (4th time) and reinstall MacOS again, and simply re-download the apps as I need them, like MS Office, etc.

Thanks again.

Apr 29, 2019 12:04 PM in response to rswc90

Sure, but Apple won't replace anything if their tests indicate it's OK. I prefer to evaluate a hard disk's suitability for continued use by booting from an external device.

But what happens to all my apps my apps that I have on the hard drive?!

That's one of those questions you have to ask yourself, because the answer depends on the degree of inconvenience you would face by completely erasing it (which you really must do to definitively rule out the possibility of problems with it). What works for one user isn't necessarily best for anyone else, but options will fall into one or more of the following general guidelines:

• Completely restore a Time Machine backup, which erases the target volume first. If one backup doesn't work for whatever reason, choose another, which is the reason one and only one backup isn't sufficient. A successful Time Machine system restoration results in the usual, mundane login screen as though nothing ever happened... just your system, as it existed, at that point in time.
  • Erase the target system and reinstall macOS. Then, migrate individual User Account information from a Time Machine backup (once again, the ability to choose from any number of TM backups is ideal). You can choose to include or exclude Applications and other broad categories to migrate.
  • Erase the target system and reinstall macOS, then selectively install essential apps from original sources, followed by restoring work products (documents, files, folders, photos, movies, music etc) individually. "Original sources" will vary according to how those apps were obtained. The App Store is easy because you can just download apps again. Downloads from "elsewhere" (developer sources) are another story, but again retaining original .dmg files (for example) from a Time Machine backup makes it easy. They might require license information or installation keys or similar types of authentication so it's incumbent upon you to retain that information along with those products.

You might notice that I haven't included offsite backups, which is an option but I don't use any of the products you mentioned. All of them have advantages and disadvantages, and the best way to evaluate their suitability for your own particular unique needs is to simulate a disaster: suppose one day you turn on your Mac and it just won't light up. Or suppose your iMac is just gone. What do you do? Use caution with commercial off-site backup services like "iDrive" because some of them will not back up macOS or programs, citing licensing concerns and other excuses. Study their terms and conditions, and confirm their marketing hyperbole does not conflict with reality. Better yet, conduct that emergency drill and see for yourself.

Apr 16, 2019 5:49 AM in response to rswc90

I wish it were so! Never that easy on my computers. It stalled at 275.40 GB and stayed there over night. I stopped it. Tried to erase the hard drive. It would not. I rebooted, restarted with Command-R, erased hard drive and just restarted again. I am restoring from a different date this time -- before the latest Mojave update (14.4).

Apr 27, 2019 1:56 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Just wanted to add closure -- well, it's still in the middle of closure a month later. The Apple folks (I took the computer and Tie Machine into the store) suggested that I wipe everything, which I did. Then because the data on Time Machine backup was not accessible (what a surprise -- it's never worked for a restore for me) the Apple store agent suggested I go in to Time Machine through the back way and copy over the USER file as a new user on my now, empty Mac. It took 5 days (lots of files) to PREPARE the files for copying. Finally it started copying and got 1/2 done and my screen saver froze. The Time Machine is still working (blinking on and off as it looks like it's processing files) but the screen saver is just frozen there. I can't get anything to respond so I don't know if it's still copying over the files. I don't want to interrupt it if it is really working. So I am going to wait 3 more days when it "should" have finished. Then I am going to force shut down with the on/off button in back, and restart it. I tried Control+Shift+Eject but that did nothing. Until it froze, I could log in and see the progress. Now, zilch.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2019 7:11 AM in response to John Galt

I took the computer to the Apple store and asked them to run tests on the HD. I told them I wanted a deeper scan the what the Utilities program offered because of these behaviors. They ran several tests with me there. They said there was no indication that the HD is faulty and believe that the issues all lie with the backup.

What I really think is that no one knows. They said that the issue of removing backup dates from Time Machine may have caused the fail. I suggested that all these issues started way before this. At any rate, I will wait the full 5 dates from when it started to actually copy - only because it took 5 full days to prepare to copy. There were over 2 million files in the user file alone. Then, after 5 days it simply started to copy. I took screen shots along to way to verify that it was, in fact changing numbers of files copied! I will keep you posed after Tuesday!

Apr 29, 2019 9:46 AM in response to rswc90

I wasn't aware any backup dates were manually removed, which is certain to corrupt a TM backup and hinder its usefulness at best. If nothing else it is almost certain to render a complete system restoration impossible... as seems to be the case here. Selectively restoring individual items is likely to be unaffected though.

I understand problems existed before you did that, but it just compounds the uncertainty.

In my opinion there are no hard disk "scan" utilities worth anything, although if Disk Utility indicates a failure it is likely to exist. If a disk is faulty it can be used to failure but should no longer be relied upon. That's one of several reasons one and only one backup is not sufficient. Taken to a logical conclusion no spinning hard disk should be relied upon. Everyone's needs are different, but if you ever find yourself in a position where the prospect of losing any one particular hard disk at any given time causes the slightest concern, then you have to reevaluate your backup strategy.

What I really think is that no one knows.

It seems that way.

Apr 29, 2019 9:52 AM in response to John Galt

Yes. I agree. I use IDrive to back up in the cloud and Google Drive and Dropbox for different data storage, too.

But what happens to all my apps my apps that I have on the hard drive?! That’s one of the things I relied on Time Machine for. But I still remind myself that these problems are minimal compared to world issues :-)

I must admit, With what you are saying, and the fact that I still have a computer under warranty, I wonder if I can get my hard drive replaced?

thanks!

Apr 29, 2019 12:24 PM in response to rswc90

The only thing you haven't done is to install macOS on an external drive though. Until you do that the status of the internal one is still undetermined.

A successful outcome might also convince Apple something isn't right with it. You should go to them being able explain how you tried A, you tried B, etc... now what?

When you erased the internal drive and reinstalled macOS, did it work OK?

Restore from Time Machine stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.