Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save my photos from an old MacBook to iCloud?

I have about 11,000 photos on an old MacBook, and more on an even older MacBook. Long ago I was able to back up one of them to an external hard drive, but one of them just gets overwhelmed when I ask it to try to back up photos to anything. When I start up the laptop it says it is backing up 11,000 photos to iCloud, but it never gets very far. Is there a way I can back them up to the iCloud in batches So it doesn’t get overwhelmed and stop trying? Of course the photos that are on there happen to be the first four years of all three of my children’s lives. I don’t want to lose these but I feel like I’m just holding onto these laptops because I have nowhere else to store these photos But they’re going to give up the ghost eventually and they will all be lost. Please help!

MacBook

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 11:40 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 21, 2019 10:24 AM in response to Lilshe

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/photos/back-up-the-photos-library-pht6d60d10f/4.0/mac/10.14

• Manually copy your library to an external storage device: Drag the Photos library (by default in the Pictures folder on your Mac) to your storage device to create a copy. 

If you have more than one photo library, be sure to back them all up.

See this also https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/photos/create-additional-libraries-pht6d60b524/mac

Note : the external storage device must have enough storage space to accumulate the iCloud photos .

Apr 17, 2019 2:18 PM in response to Lilshe

Hello Lilshe and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you're having some issues getting photos from a pair of older MacBooks. I've run into similar issues with first iPhoto and later the Photos app and older devices, so I very much understand what's at stake here.

As a first step, we'll need to make sure that you have enough iCloud space. A free iCloud account includes 5 GB of space which is not going to anywhere close to enough for more than 11K images. If you're using a 5GB account, start here for info on increasing that storage space.

Buy more iCloud storage - Apple Support

Cheers.

Apr 17, 2019 2:52 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for your reply, but it’s not a space issue. I upgraded to 2T a few years ago in anticipation of moving my photos over And I have basically been paying $100 a year for space that I’m not using since I can’t get my photos over there. It seems to be more of an issue with the max being overwhelmed by the sheer size of the job.

Apr 21, 2019 10:03 AM in response to Lilshe

Hi Lilshe,

In your original post, you said that after uploading some of the photos, the system appears to become "overwhelmed." Are you getting an error message that says the process has stopped? With that number of photos, uploading will take a very long time. On the order of days, not hours. And this will be 100% about the speed and robustness of your Internet connection. Is the Mac going to sleep during the process? If it is, that could be an issue. You can set the Mac to not sleep on a temporary basis at System Preferences > Energy Saver. Just move the slider there all the way to the right to the Never setting. You'll want to put that back to wherever you normally keep it set after this process has completed.

Cheers.

How do I save my photos from an old MacBook to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.