Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing fps from 60 to 30 before using multicam

I'm shooting a music video. We shot footage at 60 fps with the artist lip syncing to a song that was playing twice as fast as normal.

What I want to do is slow the footage down to 30 fps and then run all the clips through the Multicam option.

I can't figure out how to change the fps without dragging the clips into the project window, and in order to use the Multicam option it seems I have to use the files while they're still up in the media window.

I've been searching the web for hours trying to figure this out and it's driving me crazy.

I guess this is what I get for being a still shooter and taking on a video gig, eh?

Anyone have any ideas that may help? Thanks...

You can either write here, or email me at frank@simonphotographic.net

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 11:52 PM

You need to slow down the clip, isn't that right? I presume the audio that was recorded with the camera is speeded up so it sounds chipmunky, is that right? There's a couple of ways to do this, though I confess I've never done it.

Open each video clip using Clip>OpenClip (assuming 10.4 or later). Select both video and audio and press Cmd-R for the retiming bar. Change both video and audio to Slow>50%. The music should sound correct. Select the clips in the browser and try to build the multicam with the audio.

The other way is in the multicam clip itself. First, make sure what the actual frame rate of the video is. Is it 60fps or 59.94? Let's assume 59.94 for the moment. Build the multicam clip with just the video, without the music, which won't sync anyway. When you build the multicam clip use a custom setting that sets the frame rate to 29.97. The speeded up video with the fast music recording should sync up inside the 29.97 multicam. Select the clips in the multicam and use the retiming menu to change to automatic speed to slow everything down. Then add a lane in the multicam clip and sync the music to one of the slowed down video clips.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 11:52 PM in response to fourhappyrivers

You need to slow down the clip, isn't that right? I presume the audio that was recorded with the camera is speeded up so it sounds chipmunky, is that right? There's a couple of ways to do this, though I confess I've never done it.

Open each video clip using Clip>OpenClip (assuming 10.4 or later). Select both video and audio and press Cmd-R for the retiming bar. Change both video and audio to Slow>50%. The music should sound correct. Select the clips in the browser and try to build the multicam with the audio.

The other way is in the multicam clip itself. First, make sure what the actual frame rate of the video is. Is it 60fps or 59.94? Let's assume 59.94 for the moment. Build the multicam clip with just the video, without the music, which won't sync anyway. When you build the multicam clip use a custom setting that sets the frame rate to 29.97. The speeded up video with the fast music recording should sync up inside the 29.97 multicam. Select the clips in the multicam and use the retiming menu to change to automatic speed to slow everything down. Then add a lane in the multicam clip and sync the music to one of the slowed down video clips.

Changing fps from 60 to 30 before using multicam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.