Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To update this app, you need to accept it on the Account page in the App store

I got my MacBook back from repair and now I cannot update number, keynote, pages... The "Accept" button on my account page is simply not there. So I keep getting this error: "To update this app, you need to accept it on the Account page in the App store". Please help?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 17, 2019 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 4:20 PM

O.K. folks, after some experimentation -

*I have found a workaround for the problem*:

• Go to the App Store 'Account' page showing the affected apps [Your name at the bottom of the sidebar]

• Go to Launchpad and find the affected apps

• Click and hold an app until the icons wobble

• Click the 'X' on each affected app's icon

• Quit Launchpad

• At this point you might need to wait for a minute or two while the affected apps are actually deleted

• Return to App Store

• Click 'Update' or the 'Cloud/download' icon for each affected app.

The apps should now install and work as expected. Please let us all know if this helps you.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2019 4:20 PM in response to ChipWee

O.K. folks, after some experimentation -

*I have found a workaround for the problem*:

• Go to the App Store 'Account' page showing the affected apps [Your name at the bottom of the sidebar]

• Go to Launchpad and find the affected apps

• Click and hold an app until the icons wobble

• Click the 'X' on each affected app's icon

• Quit Launchpad

• At this point you might need to wait for a minute or two while the affected apps are actually deleted

• Return to App Store

• Click 'Update' or the 'Cloud/download' icon for each affected app.

The apps should now install and work as expected. Please let us all know if this helps you.

Sep 1, 2019 12:32 PM in response to ChipWee

So I’m setting up a new mackbook air and ran into the same issue. Stumbled on this...You just have to click on your name on the bottom left and this screen came up where I can “accept” the apps. So stupid. Their instructions need to be more clear because No one should have to google for help and then randomly click on things to find it!

Apr 17, 2019 10:28 PM in response to ChipWee

This problem happened after the motherboard on my MacBook was replaced due to a fault. When I got it back it was an old OS on it, so I upgraded. Now everything is up to date but not these apps. So, somehow this seems to me like there is a link between my old Mac and my software in App Store. Now there is a new computer and I have to "Accept" it, but something goes wrong in the App Store. Maybe Siri notice that this "Accept" step is totally unnecessary and deleted the Accept button ....or something like that :) After some searching I see several reports of this problem/bug, so if nobody have a genius solution other than deleting apps and reinstall them, instead of updating... I guess we have to wait for a update from Apple?

Apr 25, 2019 4:30 PM in response to city161

I have exactly the same problem, after importing settings from my old iMac to this one. At first, six apps [all built-in Apple software] needed to be 'accepted', and the button was there on the page. When I clicked it, the word 'Accept' disappeared, never to be seen again, but two of those six apps still require 'accepting'.

Most annoying, and Apple need to provide a fix or workaround for this bug.

Jun 20, 2019 10:26 PM in response to r.w.b

This semi helped me. Definitely want to say thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, on my "Account" only Numbers app was showing and I was missing Pages, iMovie, and Keynote (my troubled apps). Anyway, I deleted Numbers like you suggested, went back to download it again, and it opened! I removed Pages from my laptop and did the same, and now it works! I'll be doing the same for the other apps. This was so annoying for the last few months and i'm glad I finally took time to figure it out.

Thank you!

Sep 24, 2019 4:17 AM in response to ChipWee

I had this error too, it led me on a journey of confusion and annoyance.

I tried to open Pages and was told I had an update, so I clicked on the "Update" button. Then the App Store application started and showed me a page with updates for 5 applications, one of which was Pages. I clicked "Update All" and was told "To update these apps, you need to accept them on the Account page in the App Store."

I had no idea where to find the "Account page", so I started hunting through the menus. I found it in the Store menu labelled "View My Account". I'm wondering why there isn't a button on the dialog to take me directly to this page, why the original message doesn't call it the "View My Account page", why it's hard to find and why it's not just labelled "Account page". Who else's account would it be? And what would selecting it in the menu do, other than showing it?

The displayed page was very much like the updates page but with a heading "You have 5 apps to adopt" and an "Accept" button. I'm wondering in what context I "adopt" an application. And since I apparently bought them, why do I need to "adopt" them, and why the button is labelled "accept". What am I accepting? Why do I need to accept something I've already bought, installed and used many times? I've already clicked on an update button and an update all button, what more do I need to do to indicate that I want to update these applications?

And who thinks up this confusing language? So many questions…

Finally I discover that clicking on my avatar at the bottom of the page also takes me to the account page. Genius, disguising a button like that.

Now I realise why I rarely use the App Store application, it's a minefield of dysfunction.

To update this app, you need to accept it on the Account page in the App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.