Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor problem - series of small, black dots under my cursor that follows me wherever I go

I'm not sure what happened, but starting yesterday, a small line of black dots appeared under my mouse cursor and follows my pointer wherever it goes on the screen. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

I have rebooted my computer many times, reset the PRAM/NVRAM, repaired disk permissions, checked the mouse and display settings, and booted into safe mode and restarted. None of these have solved the problem. I have also changed my mouse from a bluetooth to a wired mouse and that didn't do anything either, so I don't think it's a problem with the mouse itself. I'm out of ideas.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 18, 2019 9:01 PM

9 replies

Apr 21, 2019 11:00 AM in response to brice02

Can you capture the dots under the cursor in a screenshot?

How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

Capture a selected portion of the screen
Press Shift-Command-4. 
Drag to select the area of the screen to capture. To move the entire selection, press and hold Space bar while dragging.
After you release your mouse or trackpad button, find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.

Apr 18, 2019 10:29 PM in response to brice02

Please post an EtreCheck report of your system and we can look for any obvious issues. Please click the link, watch the slideshow to learn how to use the tool and download and run the free version of the app and then post the complete report it produces as your reply to this message. 

When you have run the report and are ready to reply to this message please attach the report. You will see a screen shot below that indicates where to click in your reply message.

Mouse cursor problem - series of small, black dots under my cursor that follows me wherever I go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.