Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Mac Mini 96,000 Hz Audio USB

Hello :)

Can anyone tell me what's the max Hz that the new Mac mini will output over USB?

I use an external DAC and with my old 2011 Mac Mini I was able to send 96,000hz audio to the DAC with optical out, but now with the new Mac Mini there is no optical so I am forced to use USB and it only lets me select 44 or 48 hz. is this the DACs limitation or the Mac Mini USB limitation?

thanks

Posted on Apr 18, 2019 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2019 3:04 PM

I realize now you're using the Audio Midi setup. Sorry about that! Here's mine that shows 96/24 over USB. Interestingly, HDMI sis limited to 48/16. And even more interesting, the headphone port goes all the way to 96/32.

USB

HDMI

And the Headphone port:

I hope Cambridge fixes this with a new driver...all the best.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2019 3:04 PM in response to theigloo

I realize now you're using the Audio Midi setup. Sorry about that! Here's mine that shows 96/24 over USB. Interestingly, HDMI sis limited to 48/16. And even more interesting, the headphone port goes all the way to 96/32.

USB

HDMI

And the Headphone port:

I hope Cambridge fixes this with a new driver...all the best.

Apr 19, 2019 3:02 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi I am using USB to connect to my Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic (this device shows up as C media headphone set) https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200569482-Azur-DacMagic

With the old MAc Mini and optical connection I could select 96hz but now with only USB the option is gone.

All my files are FLAC 96 maybe my DAC does not supprt 96 on USB

Apr 19, 2019 1:53 AM in response to theigloo

usb is a universal serial connection it does not output audio

an usb soundcard connected will output the sample rate and bit resolution the device was created to do

it will do so by being controlled by a device driver on the computer it's connected to

the computers usb port has no saying in this sample rate or bit resolution

Apr 19, 2019 2:55 AM in response to theigloo

Almost all DACs today support 96/24 if not 192/32, including the those built-in to laptops/computers.

Let's go back to your problem. Where are you feeding your USB out and could you post a screenshot of where it shows 44/48 KHz? Are you sure your source file isn't the issue? Separately, unless you need line-out, the headphone port on the mini is better than excellent, maybe you don't need a DAC at all...

Apr 19, 2019 5:15 AM in response to theigloo

Is this an Azure-specific screenshot? I can't find anything similar in System Preferences.

Looks like a driver issue - I would contact Campbridge. Although their website mentions support for Windows only, not Mac...the only stuff I could find on Macs was this 2014 setup guide https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200946182-Mac-Setup-guide

Good luck!

Apr 19, 2019 10:49 PM in response to theigloo

Yes DisplayPort = USB. It’s the same Dell Monitor but sound gets channeled through the USB cable instead of HDMI (and is discernibly superior). But as I pointed out: the Apple headphone port is spec’ed best (not as good as the Cambridge but still very much in league). If you’re using the Cambridge for headphones only, you might want to consider dumping it for the headphone port.

2018 Mac Mini 96,000 Hz Audio USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.