Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio not working on Windows 10 installed on external SSD running on iMac

I installed Windows 10 (April 18 update) on external SSD drive that can be selected on the iMac's startup. Run the Boot Camp Windows Support Software and everything is fine, Apple mouse & keyboard, except audio is missing. Windows 10 Device Manager app does not show any problems with the drivers such as yellow triangles or red crosses. In fact, when a video is played the green volumen bars in the audio device driver properties move but there is no sound at all.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 19, 2019 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 2:36 AM

I had the same problem as you with a 2019 27” iMac with Windows 10 (1809) on external SSD with no sound to speakers or headphones. After a lot of Google searches I started to suspect a problem with the High Definition Audio Device (not the AMD one, if you have one) in the Device Manager (Sound, video and game controllers) due to it using a standard Microsoft driver. One search result mentioned replacing the driver with the one in the Cirrus folder from the BootCamp drivers (WindowsSupport/$WinPEDrivers$). After confirming the driver in the Cirrus folder is a High Definition Audio driver, I did an update of the driver in Device Manager and pointed it at the Cirrus folder for the location. I got confirmation that the install was successful and the sound started working (no reboot).

I had assumed that running setup (more than once in my case) in the WindowsSupport folder would install all the drivers necessary, but clearly I was wrong.

Hope this helps

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2019 2:36 AM in response to julen

I had the same problem as you with a 2019 27” iMac with Windows 10 (1809) on external SSD with no sound to speakers or headphones. After a lot of Google searches I started to suspect a problem with the High Definition Audio Device (not the AMD one, if you have one) in the Device Manager (Sound, video and game controllers) due to it using a standard Microsoft driver. One search result mentioned replacing the driver with the one in the Cirrus folder from the BootCamp drivers (WindowsSupport/$WinPEDrivers$). After confirming the driver in the Cirrus folder is a High Definition Audio driver, I did an update of the driver in Device Manager and pointed it at the Cirrus folder for the location. I got confirmation that the install was successful and the sound started working (no reboot).

I had assumed that running setup (more than once in my case) in the WindowsSupport folder would install all the drivers necessary, but clearly I was wrong.

Hope this helps

Audio not working on Windows 10 installed on external SSD running on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.