Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound not working under Windows 10

Hi

I installed windows 10 using boot camp and the audio is not working at all under windows.

I have an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) and in the System Report the Audio device manufacturer is specified as Apple and little else.

The boot camp driver folder does have an AppleAudio folder and in there it looks very much like a driver.

However Windows does not like this driver. I tried to point windows exactly at this location but Windows insists the content in this folder is simply not a suitable audio driver.

Any ideas?

M.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 6, 2020 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 6:06 PM

Hah! I got it working.

Turns out I tried to fix the wrong knob.

I tried to fix audio inputs and ouputs, but instead I had to go to

Sound, video and game controllers, and the second element in that list, which was called 'High definition Audio'

After pointing that to the Cirrus folder it works now!

Thanks for helping man!

Cheers

M.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 6:06 PM in response to mschira

Hah! I got it working.

Turns out I tried to fix the wrong knob.

I tried to fix audio inputs and ouputs, but instead I had to go to

Sound, video and game controllers, and the second element in that list, which was called 'High definition Audio'

After pointing that to the Cirrus folder it works now!

Thanks for helping man!

Cheers

M.

May 6, 2020 5:26 PM in response to mschira

Btw, I think Apple has been really letting the boot camp thing slip. Like A LOT.

I mean the automatic boot camp routine failed because it boot camp tries to use a fat32 file system instead of a ExFat.

So one has to manually do this. Which is easy enough, but just embarrassing for Apple that they did not update it.

My guess is the audio driver Apple wrote for their Audio device is so outdated that Windows refuses it.

M.

May 6, 2020 5:33 PM in response to Loner T

I don't think my computer is using said cirrus audio device. If that was the case the macOS system report would identify the audio device as cirrus.

At any case, I have tried this option.

Boot camp downloads a large number of drivers and the $WinPEDriver$ folder and then copies a smaller number into a the folder ./BootCamp/Drivers

My guess is, it copies the drivers it detects that it needs into the ./BootCamp/Drivers folder.

Long story short there is a folder called

$WinPEDriver$/Cirrus

which contains something that looks like an audio driver, I tried to tell windows to use that driver for my audio device, but Windows refused.

M.

May 6, 2020 5:50 PM in response to Loner T

I do not have a T2 chip....

after showing hidden devices, an unknown device appears under other devices.

Using the update driver button, i tried to point this device to the cirrus folder but it did not like it.

i tried to point it to the AppleAudio driver folder, but it did not like that either.

i do not have a Realtek folder ....

Sound not working under Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.